North Korea’s Satellite Launch

Alex Castillo, Copy Editor

A satellite test occurred in the Sohae launch facility in western North Korea on Feb. 6 in order to learn more about launch techniques for long-range missiles. The United States Strategic Command stated that at least two new space objects were defected, which were most likely the rocket’s first stage and the actual satellite. Coming fresh off of a supposed underground hydrogen bomb test just one month prior, the United States and other global powers have seen this test as a way to assess military missile technology as opposed to North Korea’s statements of peaceful intentions and purely scientific reasons.

As North Korea finds its way into mainstream media more and more, the American people feel a sense of responsibility to intervene and put an end to the potential threat.

Christian Kim, 12, a member of the Liberty in North Korea club at Downey High School is a firm believer of the idea of American isolationism and thinks the U.S. should not get involved in North Korean affairs.

“I don’t think the United States should intervene until North Korea poses a serious threat,” Kim said. “Intervening can easily transform into a war that can cost millions of lives.”

North Korea has become a rapidly evolving country, amassing large amounts of nuclear weapons but lacking the technology to properly launch these weapons.

Jonathan Yi, 12, founder of the Liberty in North Korea club, soothes the nerves of anxious world leaders like the American and South Korean presidents.

“North Korea launched the Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite, not a missile, and this could potentially give them a chance to develop long range missile capability, which is why the UN is so upset,” Yi said. “Overall, we shouldn’t be afraid of them using them anytime soon with the alliance between South Korea and the U.S. along with international awareness.”

As a member of the Liberty in North Korea club, one of Joseph Chung’s, 12, main goals is to increase awareness of the oppression of the natural rights of the North Korean people.

“Our society makes it seem as though the daily events of North Korea are some kind of joke,” Chung said. “We need to let the world know that what is occurring at this exact moment is a travesty and something we should do our best to stop, but it all starts with you.”

While debates over the credibility of North Korea’s claim of launching the satellite for scientific reasons still occur, humanitarian groups, like Liberty in North Korea, agree that the people in real danger are the oppressed people of North Korea. The Liberty of North Korea club at Downey High School strives to increase awareness of the human rights issues in North Korea to provide assistance and promote a more peaceful global society.