Girls Varsity Volleyball CIF Match

Nicole Alvarez, Co-Editor-In-Chief

On Oct 24. at Downey High school, Downey’s varsity girls volleyball team went against Xavier Prep for the CIF tournament. The game decided whether the lady Vikings would go on to the semifinals or lose their chance at the CIF championship.

San Bernardino’s varsity team showed impressive technique causing them to lead in the first set. The Viking’s defense continued to work hard as the roaring cheers of Viking Nation filled the gym making it loud and clear that Downey was going to keep trying. Despite all the effort though, the Vikings lost their first set 16-25.

Although Downey started off rough, varsity volleyball player, Jessyka Santana 12, expresses how even when they are losing, their bond is undeniably there.

“The strongest part would probably be our bond,” Santana stated. “We’re all really close and we all get along; we’re basically like family.”

In the second set the Vikings never let the ball slip from their hand. The girls determination echoed throughout the gym as the lady Vikings continued fighting for a chance of going to the semifinals. Coach Mccarthy, the girls volleyball coach, shows appreciation for the girls’ unity when asked what the strongest component of the team is.

“Unity, the way the girl’s function together on the court, the way they work together, the way they support each other throughout the year was fantastic,” Mccarthy stated. “As a coach I couldn’t ask for a better group.”

Unfortunately their unity wasn’t enough to to give the girls a win in their second set. The girls lost in a  close 19-25.

In their last set Viking Nation did not let two losses quiet their school spirit. Varsity volleyball player, Hailey Harris 10, expresses love for all the supporters who came to cheer Downey on to victory.

“Having all of our fans here and our cheerleaders really pumped us up,” Harris stated. “And it would have been a lot worse without them so they definitely added more spirit.”

The girls lost the third set  9-25. The Vikings had an impressive season, making it to all the way to the CIF tournament. The Downey Vikings might have lost their chance at the CIF championship but not once did they lose their viking spirit.