Disney’s Unemployment

Itzel Cabrales, Writer

Many businesses have been hit by the Covid-19 pandemic in the most troublesome ways imaginable and Disney theme parks have been one of many parks and corporations that have been affected by the pandemic. On Tuesday afternoon, Disney announced they expect to lay off an estimate of 28,000 employees in the near future. The 28,000 employees include workers from Disneyland Resort, California Adventure, Walt Disney World, cruise lines, and retail stores. These cuts would effect about 13% of Disney’s worldwide workforce and without an official reopening plan, Disney will be forced to make more cuts.

Marisol Guerrero, a laid-off employee from California Adventure spoke about the uncertainty and worry the past six months have brought with Disney shut down. She had many sleepless nights where she feared receiving bad news and looking for backup plans to support herself and her family. 

“Throughout March and April, I was being paid and I had all my benefits. Things were shaky but it was satisfactory,” Guerrero said. “It’s just that as time went on, cuts were being made, and I was at risk of losing my job.” 

Marisol hopes the government approves of a safe reopening plan to get back to work. She misses the joy and the positive atmosphere of visitors and seeing her coworkers. 

Warren High School alumni and current Cerrito’s community college student, Alondra Andrade, has had her Disneyland annual pass for about four years and misses going with her family and friends. 

“I remember going with my friends back in high school and it was always fun. It’s affected me because I used to go on weekdays when I had a day off from school to have a little getaway from all my assignments and studies,” Andrade said. “ Now I can’t go to when I want to unwind and enjoy myself. It’s a privilege to have Disney so close to home, it aches not going.” 

Alondra recalls her high school nights with close friends and said lots of other students from school and neighboring schools take advantage of Disneyland’s close proximity to experience that fun together.

For the past two weeks, the Disney Corporation has been pressing California Governor Gavin Newsom to allow Disneyland and California Adventure to reopen to the public with a well-executed safety plan. Disney’s sales have plummeted and have been reported that Disney’s operating income took a $3.5 billion hit. Tourism as a whole has slowed down due to Covid-19 and many in the Downey and local community have been awaiting the reopening of lots of their favorite places.