Teen Anxiety

Itzel Cabrales, Writer

The Covid-19 pandemic has brought the world a time of unprecedented uncertainty. Health and economic concerns have risen at fast rates and while states discuss reopening plans,  one of the most concerning problems is mental health. Many teens around the world have felt different struggles with their mental health. Some reported that quarantine eased their stress while others said quarantine raised their levels of stress.

According to a British study from the University of Bristol, teenagers from the ages of 13-14 showed lower anxiety levels in the midst of quarantine. Anxiety reports of both genders have decreased rather significantly. In October of 2019, 45% of girls and 26% of boys felt anxious in their daily lives while 45% of girls and 18% of boys felt anxious in May 2020. 

Sofia Castro, a sophomore at Downey High School said her anxiety decreased through the lockdown but has increased with online school in August. She said she had extra time to focus on herself and do the things that she never had time to do in her busy routine. Her mental health was at its best until school began more vigorously than it was back at the beginning of the pandemic.

“My anxiety since school started has gone up. I’ve been stressed about certain assignments and worried about my grades lately, but when school first got out in March it was kind of relieving,” Castro said. “ I was doing school at my own pace and the entire world just slowed down.” 

Cesar Lopez, a sophomore at Downey High School said his anxiety didn’t change at all. According to Cesar, lockdown did not have a big effect on his life compared to others, and he hopes to return back to his normal life. 

“Quarantine didn’t change much of my anxiety or stress, it stayed the same. I still had school from March till May and my household life stayed the same,” Lopez said. “I have stress of course, but I really don’t see a change.”

Downey High School sophomore, Anthony Ayala felt similar levels of stress as Sofia Castro. He felt the uncertainty of the countries’ future and the overload of news from multiple media sources worldwide. Ayala explained it as a feeling of drowning, each day swallowing more water than the day before. Juggling school and his personal life became a difficult task and was overwhelming.

“This quarantine has been like the ocean. When you least expect it, it gets worse and drags you in deeper. You try your best to not say anything. But you can’t help it so you open your mouth to breathe and it makes things worse,” Ayala said.

Everyone has felt a change in their lives with Covid-19 and it’s our job to help one another in every way possible. Whatever the cause maybe for your stress and anxiety, seek help if needed. Our mental health is important especially in times of need.