The Heroes Of The Tabletop

Lukas Luna, Co-Copy Editor

Tabletop role-playing games have always somewhat suffered the short end of the stick when it comes to cultural relevance. While they have entertained the outcasts and oddballs for decades, their mainstream popularity has always been somewhat limited. This has started to change in recent years, most notably with Dungeons and Dragons inclusion in the massively popular Stranger Things. This newly sparked interest with the public has led to more people than ever picking up a gameboard, rolling a dice, and becoming tabletop fans. Among these fans are the members of Heroes of the Tabletop, a new club here at Downey High school. 

Many role-playing fans here at Downey have floated the idea of starting a tabletop game club, but it took junior Angelina Dilorenzo to finally take the plunge and make the idea a reality. The club founder and president is thrilled that what she initially thought to be a wild idea to be so popular amongst students. 

“I’m so happy that the club is actually a thing and people are actually showing up to play and have fun.”Dilorenzo said, “ I’m so happy to share this with everybody.” 

While some club members are hardened veterans of Dungeons and Dragons and other tabletop games, most of the players present at Heroes of The Tabletop are casual fans who want to further their experience of the game. Adam Marx is one such newcomer who appreciates the chance to play that the club offers him, though he has discovered that the lengthy nature of tabletop games clash with the club’s limited schedule. 

“I like it, it lets me actually play. I haven’t been able to really play in years.” Marx said, “but an hour is not really enough for all the stuff you have to do in the game.”  

Though Marx’s complaint is certainly a prevalent fact surrounding the club, Club advisor Mr. Hansen views it in a much more positive light. Heroes of The Tabletop helps the english teacher fulfil his goal of spreading his love of Dungeons and Dragons with is many people as he can. He hopes that the time constraints of the club encourage members to take their games outside of school 

“Once we learn how to play, I think we can have a stronger focus in the club.” Hansen said, “But I really hope that people are able to make friends here and take their games outside this club.” 

Heroes of The Tabletop meet Mondays after school in A-102