Botany in Downey High

If you want to learn more about plants and all about them, then Botany is the class for you! Botany is a course at Downey High offered to juniors and seniors. Botany, sometimes called plant science, is the study of plants and how they function. Botany as a class is so much more than that simple explanation. Students can plant their fruits and vegetables with their garden bed groups. Students also get to learn how to take care of their trees. Botany class takes trips to our very own garden. The garden is where students get to enjoy the outside and get out of the classroom for a bit. The garden is a favorite part of the class for many students. 

Julissa Yepez, 11, stated, “ I like going to the garden. I like hanging out with my friends out there.” 

The garden is not only an educational place but also allows students to interact with each other outside of the typical classroom setting. 

Giselle Reyes, 12, a TA, stated her favorite part about botany:  “I really like Ms. Lee. She has a really nice and uplifting personality. It’s really nice being in her class because I feel like she’s my teacher but also my friend. I feel like I can trust her,” Reyes stated. “ It’s cool to plant and learn how to do it. It’s satisfying to learn how to grow it and then grow it at home. It’s really peaceful being in your garden.” 

Fun fact: Ms. Lee is the only botany teacher on campus! Ms. Lee’s classroom is located at C218. When asked what her favorite part of teaching botany was, Ms.Lee stated” I like it when a student discovers something they like, like science or botany and you helped introduce it to them.” Ms. Lee’s favorite part about teaching botany is “being outside and getting to eat the snacks.”      

Botany is not just a class about plants but it increases your knowledge, your skills, and your community. Be sure to check out and follow the botany’s garden Instagram @downeygrown!