The House of Silent Screams

Best Story Overall of the DHS Writing Center Spooky Story Contest

The snow fell relentlessly, blanketing the small town of Hayworth in a shroud of white.
The world outside had become a winter wonderland as Christmas day arrived. The Mendella
family’s Victorian home can be seen among the festivities in this local town. The old Victorian
house of the Mendella family had stood for many generations, a true testament of love and loss.
But Hayworth would have a terrifying story to tell that defied all explanations one fateful
Christmas Eve in 1945.

The Mendellas had gathered under the tree, their faces glistened by the soft glow of
Christmas lights, and the evening had started with nothing but warmth and laughter. With smiles
on their faces and hearts full of love, George and Jennie Mendella watch as their ten children
open their gifts. Nothing could spoil this happy day for a loving family, or so they thought. This
night would forever alter their lives.

As the festivity went on, the clock struck midnight and the house was enveloped in
darkness. The children, all tired from their celebrations, hopped in their rooms and nestled right
into bed, with dreams of sugar plums and nutcrackers and Santa Claus waiting for them in their
minds.

But at exactly 1:30 A.M., a hellish inferno erupted and spread rapidly to each room of the
house. The Mendella house had become a roaring beast of flames, swallowing the family in a
nightmare. George and Jennie, frantically escaping in desperation, were able to escape with just
four of their children, but the fire had such fury that they weren’t able to reach the upper floor
where the rest of the six other children slept.

The family screamed for the children inside, their voices blending with the crackles of the
flame, and their prayers only met with the howling wind. As the blaze consumed the upper level,
all hope was dwindled into ashes.

When dawn broke, the Mendella home was reduced to ashes, and it was assumed that the six
missing children had perished in the flames. But, there was no evidence or any trace of remains
amidst the charred debris. No bones, no fragments of clothing, nothing to account for their
supposed tragic end.

To add to the mystery, a telephone repairman revealed that the family’s phone lines had
been tampered with, cut neatly, as if a surgeon had. A sinister detail that casts a shadow over the
tragedy.

The Mendella family did all they could to find their children. They wouldn’t accept the
official explanation and believed that their children had been taken, their lives stolen and ripped
away from them. An anonymous letter arrived, postmarked from a distant town local to
Hayworth. The letter had words that whispered of hope and longing dread. “Your children are
alive and well,” it read, igniting a spark of hope for the parents to be able to find their missing
children and unravel the chilling truth. As the years went by, countless searches went on. The
family hired private investigators to psychics, all leading to a path of nowhere and everywhere.

Yet, the children were never found. Every waking hour of the family’s life was plagued
by their lost spirits. The Mendella house became a house of silent screams, where the echo of
their losses could be heard in every corner.