Downey Gets a Math Center

Alexis Gutierrez, Writer

The first Math Center at Downey High, will be opening Monday, Sep. 18 at the library on campus because Downey has had a writing center for quite a few years, and with it being a wild success, Downey’s fearless leader, Tom Houts, has come up with another idea that might be just what students need. On Monday afternoon, there was a meeting at the school library, to discuss the future of the new program.

About sixty students, as well as five math teachers, showed up and signed up to help various students who need the tutoring.  

“It’s a good feeling to know that you helped someone,” Dilan Ajtun,12,  states. “I feel that with my math abilities I can help students who don’t understand it completely.”

Students who are tutors at the math center will be receiving community service hours as well as the opportunity to help other students. Scholars can find both Jeremy Park,12, and Dilan Ajtun,12,  tutoring at the math center.

“Children usually feel a little awkward talking to teachers, especially if they come in alone after school,”Senior, Jeremy Park states, “but I feel like if kids will come to a center where they can be taught by other kids it would really help them much more, they would definitely feel more comfortable”.

While the math center was a new idea, the concept of more help for students has been something Martha Ortiz, librarian at downey, has been seeing for some time.

“I see a lot of tutors all the time and so parents are constantly asking for tutors,” Martha Ortiz states. “I don’t think students are aware of what is out there it will benefit the students to have new center be in a central place like the library.”

They new center will operate in the library after school from Monday to Friday before school from 7:00  to 7:40 am and after school Monday and Tuesday from 2:50 p.m. to 3:30 pm, Wednesday and Thursday from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 pm.