Must Watch Halloween Movies

Miranda Ortiz, Photographer

With the beginning of autumn and October around the corner, it’s that time of year to hop on all fall activities starting with a Halloween movie marathon. Here’s a list of films that range from childhood favorites to classic Halloween movies.

Casper (1995) 

Directed by Brad Silberling

A kind-hearted, young ghost named Casper peacefully haunts a mansion located in Maine. When specialist James Harvey arrives to communicate with Casper and his fellow spirits, he brings along his teenage daughter, Kat, who Casper quickly falls in love with. But their budding relationship is complicated not only by his transparent state, but also by his troublemaking apparition of uncles and their mischievous antics.

Halloweentown (whole film series)

Directed by Duwayne Dunham

Marnie and her siblings get a big shock when they follow their grandma home to Halloweentown–and find out they come from a family of witches. Two years after the first film, a warlock named Kal has stolen a magic spell book and plans to turn everyone into the costume they’re wearing at midnight on Halloween. Two years after the second film, Marnie Piper organizes a student exchange program between her mortal school and Halloweentown High. In the fourth film, Marnie Piper arrives at the Halloweentown University as the teachers have been waiting for her arrival to fulfill a prophecy.

Tim Burton’s ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’

Directed by Henry Selick

The film follows the misadventures of Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s beloved pumpkin king, who has become bored with the same annual routine of frightening people in the “real world.” When Jack accidentally stumbles on Christmastown, all bright colors and warm spirits, his perspective changes. Jack plots to bring Christmas under his control by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over the role. But Jack soon discovers even the best-laid plans can go awry.

Edward Scissorhands

Directed by Tim Burton

A scientist builds an animated human being, but dies before he can finish assembling Edward. Though, he left the young man with a freakish appearance followed by the scissor blades he has instead of hands. Loving suburban saleswoman Peg discovers Edward and takes him home, where he falls for Peg’s teen daughter. However, despite his kindness and artistic talent, Edward’s hands make him an outcast.

Halloween

Directed by John Carpenter

On a cold Halloween night in 1963, six year old Michael Myers brutally murdered his 17-year-old sister, Judith. Myers was sentenced and locked away for 15 years until October 30, 1978. While being transferred for a court date, a 21-year-old Michael Myers steals a car and escapes Smith’s Grove. He returns to his quiet hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois, where he looks for his next victims.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Directed by Wes Craven

In the classic slasher film, several Midwestern teenagers fall prey to Freddy Krueger, a disfigured midnight manglar who preys on the teenagers in their dreams–which will murder them in reality. After investigating the phenomenon, Nancy begins to suspect that a dark secret kept by her and her friends’ parents may be the key to unraveling the mystery. But can Nancy and her boyfriend Glen solve the mystery before it’s too late?