A Wrinkle In Time

Ysabelle Canilao, Photographer

The original novel A Wrinkle in Time written by Madeleine L’Engle is being released as a movie from Disney. With actors ranging from Oprah Winfrey to Chris Pine, students are excited to see a book they have read become real life.

Darla Perez, 12, has read the book twice, and would recommend the read to anyone who likes sci-fi fantasy books. She calls it a book ‘where others can relate’ due to the nature of the storyline. She enjoyed reading it since she made a connection, saying the book is different, and talks about loneliness and loss.

Perez is excited to watch the new movie, waiting to see the book she read play out in the big screen.

“I loved reading this book,” Perez said. “The first time I read it it was in middle school, but when I came back to it, I understood it better, seeing I have grown up four more years.”

Samantha Betancourt, sophomore, described the book as showing a person’s individuality, bravery and emotion. Also able to relate to the books storyline, she is glad to see Disney put their own twist to the book.

Betancourt also thinks the movie’s release is perfect timing in today’s day and age, with problems surrounding society; she thinks the book has a call to action: to become one and fight.

“Disney has their way of adding magic to any movie they make,” Betancourt said. “This one is no different. The book is a fantasy, and that is one of the best things Disney can portray.”

Milo Kelly, 12, is interested in watching the movie, although they have never read the book. Kelly has only recently heard about it.

“I am a little intrigued by the movie,” Kelly said. “I’ve only seen posters for now, I have not watched any of the trailers, but I’m willing to give the movie a shot.”

A Wrinkle in Time is a science fantasy novel first published in 1962. The first movie based on the novel came out in 2003, directed by John Kent Harrison. In the 2018 version, the movie is directed by Ava DuVernay. The movie will be released on March 9.