Coachella hype has begun

During lunch, on Feb.4, Bianca Vasquez, 12, listens to music on her phone anticipating Coachella this spring. “I’m looking forward to everything,” Vasquez said.

Sophie Prettyman, Staff Writer

The 2015 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival lineup was released on January 6, sparking excitement amongst music fans. Downey students are thrilled to join this crowd of music lovers this year at Coachella, and many are going for the first time ever.

“It is my first time going and I’m excited to see pretty much everyone; I can’t choose,” senior Brianna Valencia said. “I’m excited to see great performances on the daily for a weekend.”

The bands and artists headlining Coachella this year are rapper Drake, classic rock band AC/DC, and indie rocker Jack White.

“I’m looking forward to going on a three-day road trip with my friends and being there on my own,” senior Aryana Dantic said. “I also look forward to celebrating my 18th birthday out there in the desert with my friends in cute outfits listening to good music.”

Some major indie groups and performers who will be at the festival include Interpol, Hozier, Tame Impala, Belle and Sebastian, and Alabama Shakes. Pop artists include Marina and the Diamonds, St. Vincent, and Kimbra. Some rappers and electronic musicians Downey High students are excited to see are Azealia Banks, Tyler the Creator, David Guetta, Kaskade, and Flying Lotus. Punk rock fans can look forward to seeing Bad Religion, a classic punk staple.

“I’m looking forward to seeing Florence + the Machine because their music is amazing,” senior Daniel Diaz said. “I’ve never been to a music festival this big so it’s really exciting for me!”

The annual music festival started in 1999 and occurs on two weekends in a row in the Coachella Valley in Indio, California. People flock to it to see their favorite performers, to see interesting art, and to enjoy the other forms of entertainment in a desert party atmosphere with their friends. Coachella features both well-known and up-and-coming musicians from various genres, including indie, rock, hip-hop, electronic, and rap. Every year, it grows increasingly in popularity, attracting music and art lovers from all over, including celebrities such as Leonardo DiCaprio, the Jenner sisters, Katy Perry, and Chris Pine.

This year, Coachella will take place on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the second and third weekends of April. Due to high demand and popularity, both weekends sold out in less than 40 minutes.