Dia de los Muertos: United for Culture Contribution

Mexico’s traditional holiday known as Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is known as a celebration of loved ones who are now resting in paradise. Families lay out their loved ones favorite snacks over their graves so that on Oct 31 through Nov 2, they come back and enjoy their favorite meals before laying to rest once again.

Brenda Melara, Writer

Located outside the R-2 classroom, teacher adviser Mr. Vasquez and various members of the United for Culture club contributed to the celebration of the Mexican festivities of Dia de los Muertos by offering face painting before school and at snack as well as decorating sugar skulls at both lunches on November 1 and 2.

Samantha Arellano, 11,  comments about how her family celebrates this festivity that is part of their culture.

“In our house we normally set up our own altar in the corner of the living room,” Arellano said. “We leave the candles there for both days and sometimes we go to festivals in downtown LA and to cemeteries to see what everyone else is doing, like a gathering.”

Dia de los Muertos (or Day of the Dead in English) is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico from Nov. 1 to Nov. 2; however in the United States the holiday is grouped with the Halloween celebration on Oct. 31. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have passed away and help them with their spiritual journey.

Sofia McCoy, 9,  talks about her opinion on bringing this festivity to school grounds, even if is not a national festivity.

“I think it is a good thing; I think we need to learn about different cultures,” McCoy said. “ I am glad that the school is opening up to different cultures besides the American culture.”

Jocelyn Lopez, 11, talks about how she feels about sharing the traditions of her culture being shared while she was painting faces.

“I think it’s really cool; I think it gives other people a view of our culture,” Lopez said. “ It is just really pretty and I think it should be shared with everybody.”

The school integrating and sharing foreign holidays has been well-received, some of the success can be associated with the high percentage of students with Hispanic origins. In order to learn more about other cultures, you can join the United for Culture club. The club meets Mondays after school at the room R-2 with the teacher adviser Mr Vasquez.