Fall sports take it all

On+Saturday%2C+Nov.+10%2C+Joy+Miley%2C+12%2C+helps+the+varsity+volleyball+team+score+against+Los+Osos+High+School%2C+in+Rancho+Cucamonga%2C+during+their+second+round+of+CIF.+The+Vikings+lost+0-3+and+did+not+make+it+to+the+third+round+of+CIF.+
Amanda Lira
On Saturday, Nov. 10, Joy Miley, 12, helps the varsity volleyball team score against Los Osos High School, in Rancho Cucamonga, during their second round of CIF. The Vikings lost 0-3 and did not make it to the third round of CIF.

Although the regular season has come to an end for fall sports, the various teams ability to excel has permitted them to move on to playoffs and have the opportunity to participate in the Southern California CIF in the first weeks of November.

It is no surprise that with two prior CIF titles the girls volleyball team would try to go for a third. After being undefeated in the San Gabriel Valley League, the Lady Vikes went into playoffs ranked third in the Division 2-AA CIF bracket. Their first match, played home, took place on Nov. 6 against Monrovia High School, as they won 3-0. The luck for the volleyball team continued as they once again won the coin toss allowing them to play another game on their turf against San Luis Obispo High School.

“The game was very nerve wrecking,” Karen Gill, 12, said, “I didn’t even want to watch anymore; I thought they were going to lose.”

After five excruciating matches, Downey finally took the victory, leaving San Luis Obispo with a long and defeated ride home. Finally, after two games, the volleyball team went into quarterfinals, away against Los Osos High School, on Nov. 10, in Rancho Cucamonga. After two CIF titles, their run was over as they lost 0-3, ending the season.

The girls tennis team, on the other hand, won their first ever San Gabriel Valley League title but lost their first CIF match.

“I enjoy playing tennis,” Toni Salgado, 12, said.  “and since I’m a senior, I decided I would just have fun and we won!”

After many long hours of practice and dedication, the boys water polo team made the CIF playoffs. Their first game on Nov. 6, at 3:00 p.m.  in the Downey Aquatics Center, was easily won since  Etiwanda High School proved to be no match for the Downey powerhouse. But after a win of 19-13, Troy High School was too much for the Vikings.

“The first half we were doing fine, but the second half we just fell apart,” David Lumbreras, 12, said. “It was like the Cerritos game all over again.”

The game against Troy ended in a 14-6 loss for  Downey . At the same time, the Cross-Country team was able to shut Warren down and take first place in the San Gabriel League finals at the La Mirada Park. Their first place in league gave them the opportunity to advance and compete at CIF on Saturday, Nov.10 where they did not place.

Finally, the football team shut down the Rowland Raiders 55-21, advancing them to the second round of CIF against Norwalk on Friday, Nov.16. Throughout the game, Downey proved to be the more offensive team. The Raiders defense had no answer to the Vikings plays allowing them to advance to championships.

The fall season proved to be a successful one for the fall athletes. It was the first time in school history that all girls fall sports won league titles.  The beginning of the school year is shaping up to be a good one as all fall sport have obtained a title, with hope for the same as the following seasons begin.