Let Your Imagination Fly

Sabrina Picou, Editor-In-Chief

The Stay Gallery hosted an event for Downey elementary school students to exhibit their art at the gallery on May 16. Students created their artwork to the theme Let Your Imagination Fly.

Ana Godinez is the curator and youth coordinator of the gallery; she shares what the program was for.

“Reflections is a part of a National PTA program that encourages and celebrates student participation in arts and education,” Godinez said. “We showed work from kinder -12 grade: music, literature, poetry, and dance.”

The gallery had parents and the student artists viewing the art on the day of the event. Linda Saldana is the PTA President for Price elementary school.

“I came to support our school,” Saldana said. “We have three of our exhibits that won first place for the district and it is just so awesome for the kids to be able to come and see their work in an actual gallery. I think this makes it that much more attainable for them in the future.”

The event was a free walk-in exhibit. Students, citizens of Downey, and parents were welcome to come in and enjoy the young artist’s work.

Seventh grade student from Griffiths middle school, Alyssa Durate, photographed her brother for the exhibit.

“I got to be creative with taking the photo that I took in New Mexico at a hot air balloon festival,” Durate said.

Parent Shirley Lara, tells how this event was beneficial to her son and the other student participants.

“This motivates them to get into programs and it helps him with his self esteem and to not be shy about expressing himself through art,” Lara said.

The next event at Stay Gallery will be the Then & Now exhibit for Downey Unified middle school students on Thursday, May 26, from 5 – 8 P.M. which will exhibit two – three dimensional artworks.

About the Contributors
Sabrina Picou, Editor-In-Chief

When Sabrina Picou joined newspaper she was quiet, nervous and knew only one person. She did not know how to format and structure a story and self-taught herself how to write a story. Now she is one of two editors-in-chief for the Downey Legend.

“I wanted the untold stories to be told,” Picou said. “That was my goal for Newspaper.”

People in and out of Newspaper have recognized Picou’s passion.

“In my opinion, Sabrina is a responsible student and...

Alyssa Vega, Arts and Entertainment Editor

With graduation coming up this spring, and lots of work still left to be done, Alyssa Vega is finally getting ready to plan her future by meticulously choosing classes based on her potential careers. Former volleyball player, Vega, is also excited about her senior year and hopes to make memories with her peers. She also aspires to go beyond her limits in not only writing, but also in thinking.

“I want to become a more creative writer and open-minded,” Vega said. “If I do enjoy...