3rd Street Coffee

Fall season is upon us so it’s the perfect time to get a nice coffee or treat after school. I have a perfect recommendation for anyone who wants to try a new place to eat or drink. 3rd Street Coffee is located in Downtown Downey where lots of different restaurants, City Hall, and Downey City Library are located. 3rd Street Coffee has been serving the community since 2000, operated by owner, Mary Cho. 3rd Street opened up as a mom-and-pop shop coffeehouse meaning it is a small independent business run by family members. Ever since its opening, 3rd Street Coffee has been cherished by fellow customers with its various menu options. The menu offers coffee, fraps, bagels, sandwiches, croissants, teas, paninis, and salads. To look at the full menu, you can go to their website: https://3rdstreetcoffee.com..  One thing that stands out about the cafe is its very welcoming atmosphere. It is quite small but there’s space inside to eat or you can either eat outside on the patio. The inside is decorated with various paintings of peaceful streets and landscapes. Not only do the paintings feel welcoming but light music plays in the background as you dine and sit inside.

I have gone to 3rd Street Coffee a couple of times and honestly, all have been an enjoyable experience. I was actually introduced to 3rd Street by my older sister who also went there when she was a teenager. She always told me how good the cafe was so I finally decided to check it out myself. The first time I went was during finals week of last year which was a bit crowded but nothing too bad. Different people came in and out, students, parents, and business people. I got a mocha frappe because I love coffee and tasting new coffees and it did not disappoint. I did taste the caffeine but it wasn’t bitter, it was the perfect amount of something bitter but sweet. It was really nice to enjoy an afternoon in the cafe with tunes playing in the background while talking to my friends about the hectic week we just ended. So then recently, I went back and it was honestly a really nice experience. I decided to get the chicken pesto panini and it was honestly really food. I haven’t gotten a panini before but for the first time, it was good. The panini is made of chicken, lettuce, cheese, and piesto; I honestly really liked the lettuce and cheese combination, and with a mix of pesto it was really good. I interviewed a couple of students and what they thought of 3rd Street Coffee: 

Stephanie Gamez, 11, noticed that “ The cafe is very welcoming and I love their refreshing drinks like the green tea lemonade.”  

Vivana Aquino, 11, has some recommendations:” The chicken pesto is very good and I highly recommend it. The drinks are very refreshing and good.” 

Ivanka Trujillo-Sanchez, 11, who went to 3rd Street Coffee during  the weekend says, “It’s a nice place to go on Saturday mornings with your cousins.” No matter what time and day it is, you can enjoy a peaceful nice morning having brunch at 3rd. 

3rd Street Coffee is like our very own Luke’s Diner or Central Perk but instead of being located in Stars Hollow or New York City, it’s located in the heart of Downtown Downey. Downtown Downey has that small-town feel which is what makes the cafe so welcoming and makes it stand out. It doesn’t matter when or why you go to 3rd Street, it’s a cafe for everyone to have a nice experience. I recommend to anybody who after or before school who wants to study/work on assignments or wants somewhere to eat, visit 3rd Street! Teachers, students, staff, business people, workers, anyone is welcome.