The very best

Marilyn Ramirez
Six years since its implementation, athletic director Mark Rand addresses friends and families in celebration of the student athletes who are participating in sports in college, at the Athlete Signing Party on May 30. “We started with only six kids going off to college playing sports, and now we’re at eighteen,” Rand said. “That just shows the improvement we’ve had in our athletics.”

Coaches, parents, and friends gathered in the theater on the afternoon of May 30 to recognize and celebrate the eighteen student athletes who have committed to their future universities.

Posters showing off the athletes’ names and schools, in their respected colors, were lined up on the walls of the room. Up on stage the stars of the assembly sat quietly in a row, excited and nervous in front of their peers.

Coach Mark Rand introduced started off by introducing himself and stating the purpose of the assembly.

“We’re here to celebrate what these athletes have done—not only on the field as athletes but in their classrooms as students,” Rand said.

Coach Gleason then introduced himself and senior Dakari Archer. Archer was the high jump champion three years in a row, but this multi-sport athlete was awarded a basketball scholarship at Biola University. Gleason explained that only 3% of the many high school basketball athletes receive scholarships.

Standing at 5’9 skeptics claim Archer’s chances at success on the court are diminished—however averaging 21.5 points per game, scoring multiple game winning shots, and being chosen Most Valuable Player on maxpreps.com demonstrates Archer’s caliber.

“I always go in with 110% and practice,” Archer said. “[I’ve] learned to take my school work seriously and be on top of my homework.”

Another multi-sport athlete, Kristen Johnson, also received a basketball scholarship—she will be leaving for the mid-west to begin her fall semester at Park University in Parkville, Missouri.

Girls basketball coach Nathan Harris spoke on her behalf adding that Johnsons, “ speed, quickness, competiveness, and spirit,” are what allowed her to achieve such high success.

“[Kristen] has fun while working hard and competing,” Harris said, “and I have enjoyed coaching her for four years.”

Water polo coach Stephen Judy had honorable words to say about senior track, swim, and polo star Meghan Nevarez.

“Meghan is the best player I’ve ever coached,” Judy said. “She dominates everyone despite her height.”

At about 5’2 this powerhouse overtakes her toughest competition. After scoring a record of 95 goals this past season, this four-sport athlete will be attending UC Davis in the fall. Judy recalled a day when the dates for swim meet and a track competition coincided. Despite the overlap, Nevarez managed to succeed in both of her events—winning second as the anchor in her 4 x 50 relay and 50 free, and placing first in the rest.

“Playing multiple sports has helped me build different perspectives as an athlete,” Nevarez said, “I’ve learned how to manage and push myself.”

Twin brothers Austin and Nick Farina both received lacrosse scholarships for two different schools: Austin for Sierra Nevada College and Nick for Adam State University. While Nick “shut down the best player of every team” as Coach Scott Witkin said, Austin dealt with his personal struggle—playing two years on the team with diabetes.

“Nick has been playing for five years and for Austin to have played with diabetes and still get a scholar athlete award is amazing,” Mrs. Farina said. “They know we’ve always encouraged them to do the best in whatever they do.  They know that we are very proud.”

Softball player Anissa Urtez will be attending Utah University in the fall under a softball scholarship. Coach Micah Karzen spoke for the pitcher.

“[Anissa] is the best player I’ve had the opportunity to coach,” Karzen said. “She plays the game with abandon. She plays it hard; she plays it well.”

These athletes have made incredible commitments on the field, court, and in the pool—while continuing to excel in their academics to further their education and continue with the sport they live and play the best.