Looking for laughs

Performing+a+skit+as+a+photographer+in+bungalow+T-1%2C+junior%2C+Alexiz+Hernandez%2C+pretends+to+snap+pictures+of+sophomore+Frida+Munoz%2C+as+part+of+their+audition+for+becoming+a+Comedy+Sportz+member+on+Wednesday%2C+Sept.+25.+Munoz+received+a+callback%2C+but+did+not+become+part+of+the+Comedy+Sportz+team.+
Cindy Macias
Performing a skit as a photographer in bungalow T-1, junior, Alexiz Hernandez, pretends to snap pictures of sophomore Frida Munoz, as part of their audition for becoming a Comedy Sportz member on Wednesday, Sept. 25. Munoz received a callback, but did not become part of the Comedy Sportz team.

Comedy Sportz held its auditions on Wednesday and Thursday, September 25-26, in T-1 after school, hoping to come across a handful of spontaneous and comical students to fill multiple slots in their exclusive club.

The classroom was jam packed with students waiting for their shot to shine on stage and prove their abilities to the judges. The two managers of the team, seniors Marco Arroyo and Valerie Chavez, conducted the entire audition process, keeping score of performing students and jotting down notes of constructive criticism. The leaders of the group explained the basic foundation of Comedy Sportz – to compete against different high schools while participating in various improv games that require technique, and most importantly, to put on an entertaining show and make people laugh.

Before the audition began, the group was hauled outside to warm up and get rid of any lingering nerves. Returning members, also referred to as “vets”, kicked off the games, allowing participants to loosen up. Their games practiced their vocals, clarity, and improvisation, skills exercised in Comedy Sportz. With ten minutes of preparation, energies ran, and the group was sent back to the room to face the stage, take a breath, and let their humor do the talking. Sophomore Beatriz Medina, a yearlong club member, was there to witness the try-outs and scout out the newcomers.

“I’m expecting, of course, mistakes because people are new,” Medina said, “but I’m also expecting to see talent.”

The judges, although focused on finding humorous individuals, emphasized their need for committed members. The team’s adviser, Mr. Hansen, was fixated on the idea of creating a group of dedicated students for the upcoming year.

“I’m focusing on the commitment,” Hansen said. “It’s fun for kids to be creative and improvisational, but I’d rather have a core of fifteen kids who show up every Wednesday for practice and look out for the good of the team.”

The auditions began shortly after, starting off with a basic game called “Four Corners.” On the stage, people in different corners added something to a scene. The first corner is setting, second corner is relationship, third is conflict, and fourth is resolution or larger conflict. Some auditions ran smoothly, individuals adding their unique style and sense of humor, while others left with stage fright and cast a shadow of awkwardness and hesitation over their performance.

The stomach churning comedy trial that was done in front of multiple peers was not easily conquered.  Sophomore Jessica Avalos, who was persuaded to step up to the challenge, felt the stress before stepping on stage.

“I was really nervous, but I had fun,” Avalos said, “I’m not really an improv person, but it makes more sense why people would join.”

The club try-outs consisted of ups and downs, awkward silences, roars of laughter, and promising potential for a thriving Comedy Sportz team.