Taking a side

Locker Gnome

Four years ago I sat in my eighth grade science class and watched the first African-American man be inaugurated into office. I told myself I’d better remember every moment, for this was history in the making. Now I witness Barack Obama running for a second term and I must admit, I am hardly changed, in the political sense, from my fourteen-year-old self.

Back then, I knew nothing, save what I heard from any adult around me: that politics were a scheme of lies, that I should not become involved, or that it is ones civic duty to vote, to stand up for what you believe and do what is right for the country.  I cannot quite say I am on either side; I cannot say I am in between.

As a middle-class Latina awaiting the day for equality and affordable education I suppose I should be all for the democratic administration. Well, I am, but I need you to know, fair reader, that I am far behind in any attempt to be politically informed. There is so much being said in my classrooms, on blogs, other means of social media, and the news. I don’t know where to start, or how to keep up. The president won me over with his social policies. I thought to myself, “Hey, it’s about time someone says anything about gay rights. It’s about time someone addresses women and their importance, kudos to you!” However, as for economic and foreign policies, I just have no idea. Perhaps it is because as a seventeen year old, I do not feel like my word in such worldly topics is very valuable. And yes, my future is at stake as well, but my mind is an incredibly active place. Heck, I won’t even go into what I think would be ideal; it’s just is not necessary.

From the confines of my bedroom I have thought about what my opinions are, but I can only gather them from my experiences and my current situations, be it financial, social, or academic. I still wanted to hear from both sides; I thought maybe I should give Governor Romney the benefit of the doubt.  I was not sure if I should fully accept everything that is said on the internet.

I have been listening to the debates (I am very late in doing this). What I have been hearing is a lot of “I know how to do this” and “Look at all the debt we’re in now” along with “He’s a great guy” and “I’ve been doing this my whole life”—spoken with so much reassurance it makes me cringe. Half of America is saying that these four years have been ineffective. They are worried that the economy will continue to decline; they are worried their jobs will disappear.

My president ended the war in Iraq, he fights for universal healthcare, he supports what I personally believe in, he is consistent, and he is concise. Now, the former governor and his supporters say that the incumbent candidate is some sort of failure and skeptics are paying attention. He preaches his “five point plan”, he says he knows how to get the job done—and this is the gist of his administration. Forget the accusations of a socialist America, the ridiculous claims of terror in the Oval Office—would I be ready to let the welfare of this country lie on the shoulders of Governor Romney? I would not be willing to take that risk.