Seniors Are Being Accepted into Colleges

Applying for a college he knew he would get accepted to, Nycholas Andrade, 12, has been accepted to Cerritos College and plans on majoring in microbiology. “In principles of biomed we did a gram stain on a go light I think it was,” Walker stated. “It looked pretty cool so I thought that was interesting so I was like ima pursue that.”

Lizzy Martinez, Co-Business Manager

March becomes an anxious month for many Downey High seniors because they begin to hear back from colleges. The application process began in November with applications due for Universities of California and California State Universities. The process ended in mid- January with submission of private universities’ applications.

Cal State Universities have been sending out admission decisions since beginning of February, and UC Merced and UC Riverside have sent out their decisions as of March 4. Various of the other Universities of California have yet to send out theirs.

Katia Contreras, 12, was accepted into three Cal States﹣Cal State Long Beach, Cal State LA, and Cal State Channel﹣and has yet to accept admission to a college.

“ I plan to pursue a major in child psychology because I’m good with kids and I want to become an elementary school teacher,” Contreras said. “ My parents were very proud of me because I am a DACA student and they know how hard I’ve worked for who I’ve become today.”

Alongside in-state colleges, out-of-state universities have also sent acceptance letters to Downey students. Taelor McDonald, 12, has been accepted to 4 colleges including one being out of state﹣Cal State LA, San Francisco State, San Diego State, and University of Arizona.

“ Although I’ve gotten into many schools I am still waiting on UC’s because they are late in releasing acceptance letters and I want to go to the school with the best program for my major﹣anthropology,” McDonald said. “ My parents cried when they heard I got into these colleges and I felt proud of myself.”

Students who applied for early action to Ivy Leagues have received responses from the schools, but regular-action will receive notification in Mid-March. Michelle Vilarino,12, got accepted into Princeton and UC Irvine and is also waiting for other Ivy Leagues like Harvard and Yale and other UCs.

“ It felt great because I know the hard work was worth it and I feel like all of the colleges I applied to have extensive resources and good academic,” Vilarino said. “ I plan to major in political science and I want to go to law school because I feel like as a lawyer I would be able to achieve justice and do good for my community.”

Universities are still sending more acceptance letters and those who have been accepted will have until May to decide. The universities who have not yet sent out their decisions will have to have done so by April 1 the latest.