AP Students Prepare for Tests

Feeling rather confident for his tests and upcoming finals, AP Human Geography student, Diego Martinez, 9, describes his study routine at the DHS quad on Jan. 16. “I’ll study one day starting with flashcards and the [given] packet. The second day, I’ll quickly review material that I studied before, and then study other papers and notes,” Martinez stated. “I will finish off by reviewing the KBAT [know and be able to do] paper.”

Jasmine Fernandez, Editor-In-Chief

As the first semester of the 2017-2018 school year comes to an end, students are beginning to feel the pressures of AP courses. With exams quickly approaching, the time has come for students to think about exams.

Although most AP classes are year long, students face the pressure of memorizing and retaining the curriculum for exams in May. Oftentimes, students turn to online sources for study material such as videos, lectures, and articles penned by seasoned AP educators. Included is Leyvi Barron, 11, who focuses on studying videos to improve her retention of information learned in class.

“My best studying routine has been going to sleep listening to videos and listening to them through the day at school or at home,” Barron said. “The videos review topics which will be on the test and listening to them helps me remember and learn better.”

Alongside studious upperclassmen are freshmen and sophomores taking their first AP classes. Freshman Human Geography students have come to adapt to the workload and demands of their rigorous studies. Diego Martinez, 9, enjoys the challenge “AP HUG” has introduced to his schedule.

“Well, I feel rather confident for my next tests and upcoming finals since I’m able to understand and memorize most things after they are taught,” Martinez said. “I balance AP class material by just spending a bit more time trying to tie everything together from previous chapters.”

Ultimately, AP exams test not only a student’s learning capabilities but their management skills as well. With tests, deadlines and lectures consuming most of students’ time, Alyson Lucena, 9, keeps an optimistic attitude when faced with the responsibility of  scholar.

“I feel as if these tests and finals are going to be detrimental to my grade, but I’m pretty sure I’ll still have the grades I want,” Lucena said. “I have my priorities straight.”

Downey High offers AP courses for every grade level, beginning with Human Geography for freshmen and ending with American Government and Microeconomics for seniors. 2018 exams take place from May 7 to May 18. For more information on how to enroll in an AP course, visit the counselor’s office or visit www.apstudent.collegeboard.org.