Junior honor guard

Junior honor guard

But for this year’s Junior Honor Guard, the selection process needed a few alterations. This year, a large amount of juniors submitted their applications with the hopes of being a part of graduation. Rather than selecting forty juniors that qualify to be a part of Honor Guard, the application process was cut into two parts. First, the applications were reviewed and cut down to fifty. The second step is to take those fifty remaining juniors and randomly select forty juniors to be a part of the Junior Honor Guard.

While seniors are the ones in the spotlight, juniors also get to enjoy some of the fun. Every year a total of forty juniors are able to participate at graduation by wearing formal attire and standing around on the sidelines during the ceremony. Generally, the application process is simple with the requirement of a 2.0 grade point average and turning the application in before the deadline.

When junior Krista Velasco was asked why a multitude of juniors desired to be a part of Junior Honor Guard this year, she responded:

“Because you can go to graduation for free and be a part of something.”

Once the forty juniors are selected, they are given an overview of what they can and cannot wear for the event.  Boys are expected to dress in formal attire such as pants, shirt and a tie; they cannot wear jeans or any casual garments. Girls are expected to dress in long, pastel colored dresses; they are prohibited to wear dresses that are short, strapless, too revealing, and brightly colored.

“Everyone wants to dress up, look nice and just be at graduation,” Xochitl Chaul, 11 said.

In the end, the juniors want to be able to help in any way possible to make graduation memorable for their fellow seniors.

“I wanted to dress up and watch my beloved seniors graduate,” Lily Kim 11, said. “I just wanted to be a part of something and bid the seniors farewell since I won’t see them afterwards.”

Another reason as to why Honor Guard is so popular among juniors is because it is the last school event that they can be a part of before summer vacation. It is also a way to kick off their senior year.

View Comments (1)
Dinorah Acuña
Dinorah Acuña, Writer
Senior Dinorah Acuña is a first year writer for The Downey Legend, and is also an aspiring student inspired by the fact that she will be the first person in her family to go to college. From the many subjects in school, her interests remain in math, science, and literature. Originally from Arizona, Acuña believes that hard work, responsibility, and respect are essential to a person. She is active in her community with the Normaneers club on campus and likes to do things that involve the outdoors. In addition to her participation in school, the Downey Legend writer has great social skills and does not tolerate violence or selfishness. Acuña joined The Downey Legend because she wants to continue her involvement at Downey High. With a voice in the newspaper, she hopes to share her writing and to make students feel a connection with their school. “I believe nothing is impossible,” Acuña says. She is confident that her positivity can significantly contribute to The Downey Legend. The amiable writer hopes to become a successful part of a working environment. Her goal is to make the newspaper better and to get people interested in being a part of Downey’s Viking pride.  

• K

Kyle EvankoJul 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Wow, that’s really interesting how your school does honor guard! Temple City only has four from junior honor guard, and they’re the ones with the highest GPA in the class. So you basically need a 4.45 or higher to be on.

Reply
Junior honor guard