Join Newspaper!

Apply to be a part of the Downey Legend family today! The Downey Legend is Downey High School’s very own online school newspaper! Students can apply to be writers, photographers, videographers, podcasters, illustrators, and business, or social media manager. Applications open this March and close on the 29th. The application will ask for a work sample depending on the position you will be applying for and a teacher recommendation letter. Please keep in mind that this is a 3rd-period class. If you have any questions, you can contact Ms. Napoli, the Downey Legend’s very own advisor, or go S-26. 

Being a part of newspaper lets students get out of their comfort zone and experience Downey High as never before. These young journalists get to see the community and the campus around them. Personally, the Downey Legend has helped me see the different activities going around the school that I otherwise wouldn’t have noticed. Being a part of this program has helped me talk to people and teachers that I wouldn’t have gotten a chance to talk to. I love how I can branch out and cover different stories. This 3rd-period class is a blend of sophomores, juniors, and seniors; so you get the chance of talking to other students outside your grade level. This class is student-led by editors-in-chief Ximena Soloranzo and Madeline Hidalgo; alongside our awesome advisor, Ms.Napoli. 

Angelina Andrade, 12,  copy editor and writer, states her favorite part of newspaper”  I like how creative I can be and that there’s no limitations to what I can talk about and how other people intercept it. It’s really fun being able to share the news.” 

Giselle Reyes, 12, an illustrator stated her favorite part of newspaper: “ My favorite part of newspaper is getting to learn about the school and my community while covering different topics,” Reyes stated, “ I joined newspaper because I wanted to make art at school in a new way I’d never done before.” 

Rikki Velasquez, 10, a podcaster, states as to why she joined: “ I wanted to put more things in my college application and I have always been interested in journalism.”

Christopher Armenta, 11, a writer states what’s his favorite part of newspaper:” I think my favorite part is working together because we are all family and that’s something that I will take with me in the long run. It lets me explore my interests and lets me grow.’ 

Ms.Napoli, The Downey Legend’s advisor, states her favorite part of working with newspaper:” I really like working with the newspaper students because they take what they know and really expand with this collaborative environment. It’s really nice to see the environment of all the different positions collaborating. There’s an energy in this class that is really unique.”

Ximena Solorzano, one of the editor-in-chiefs states her favorite part of newspaper:” My favorite part is the people always. All of our staff members have such a distinctive personality and I love watching them collaborate. They have built me into the person I am. I am so honored to be the one that helps them. 

Madeleine Hidalgo, one of the editor-in-chiefs, states her favorite part of newspaper:” My favorite part has to be the creative freedom and the environment. You get to create your own craft and see everything in a different perspective.” 

Although incoming freshmen can’t join, photo 1 and Photojournalism are also very highly regarded classes that let students explore their creativity outside the class. Other art classes are open to freshmen. If you are unsure about joining newspaper photojournalism, a class that is held by Ms. Napoli, lets students take control of their creative side with fun projects. Photojournalism, photo, and the Downey Legend take part in the ‘ special red box’ on campus. 

Please keep in mind that this is a 3rd period and not an after-school program. Applications are due March 29!