All About Mr. Cooke

Throughout your high school career, the idea of beginning on the right path after high school is continually coming back to you, more so throughout your senior year. It’s important to have a counselor on your side to guide you through high school, before and after. A new counselor on campus has already impacted students on a daily basis.

At the start of the 2023-24 school year, Mr. Cooke began working as a counselor, approaching his 17th year working in the education field. When asked if he always wanted to be a counselor when he was working as an English teacher, he described the experience he enjoyed working with students and having one-to-one conversations with them.

“Initially I started in education as an English teacher for 12 years, and loved the experience.” Mr. Cooke stated. “I was looking to push myself to grow and challenge myself, expand my influence and entering my 13th year, I applied to be an instructional literacy coach, a fulfilling role sharing instructional resources and giving them feedback, addressing their concerns.” During his time as a literacy coach, he “worked with English teachers, to help them improve their craft” and was teaching as an English teacher for 16 years.

As the years went on, he continuously was committed to helping out students as an English teacher and coach; “a light bulb went off and [he] thought, how can I get back into a student facing role, but not necessarily teaching, returned back to University and earned my 2nd Masters Degree in School Counseling, a PPS credential to become a counselor and have enjoyed every moment.” “The work is very fulfilling, rewarding and every day is different, each student is different and it keeps me up,” Mr. Cooke states.

Growing up in Hawthrone, California, 15 miles from Downey, he was presented with a path of success, taking AP Biology as a 9th grader, “setting him up to have a higher GPA, and graduating as a valedictorian” with the help of his school counselor. His counselor was there to support him during his difficult times, “feeling safe to talk with her” and this allowed him to grow and connect with the students. He already had the experience needed to help out students and thought let’s make this a job. Mr. Cooke has enjoyed every moment of this process and is looking forward to conducting the upcoming counselor presentations with the freshmen and the senior evaluations, meeting up with each senior individually to guide and ensure they are on the right path to meet the A-G requirements. 

When asked about sharing a piece of advice, he states “Never give up because great things take time,” many are waiting for “instant ratification,” especially in the current modernized world we live in. We expect success to start piling up and becoming famous overnight when that’s not the case. As someone once said, “Great things take time,” don’t rush your way to becoming successful. 

Even though Mr. Cooke is a new counselor, he has already had a significant impact on many students and some have shared the positive vibes he expresses as he is communicating with them in one-on-one conversation. This element is essential whenever a student arrives to meet with their counselor individually. Building a strong relationship is key to achieving success in high school and beyond. Our counselors are here to help any student and are dedicated to listening while providing the best possible resources for the well-being of the students here at Downey High.