Downey Food and Music Festival

Lukas Luna, Writer

The city of Downey held its sixth annual International Food and Music Festival on Sept. 15. The free event, which went from 4:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m, featured an extensive array of food vendors and live performers.

Among them were jazz and soul collective, the Tom Nolan band. The band has played numerous festivals and community concerts. Band leader Tom Nolan in particular was happy to help bring Downey together.

“Anytime there’s things that bring people together in a community, where they’re actually interacting with art, it’s a good thing,” Nolan said. “Get them out of their houses, get them off their screens.”   

The festival also hosted a large amount of food vendors. From local favorites like Frantone’s to larger chains like Ruby’s, there was no shortage of things to eat.  One of the vendors was seafood truck Mother Shukkers, owned by cook Elise Kadoda.

“[The festival] helps people widen their variety of food and taste palate,” Kadoda said. “They get to try different kinds of cuisine and food from all around the world.”  

In the six years the festival has been around, it has earned many long time patrons.  One of them is Downey High School student Jonathan Arias, 10.

“I’ve been coming here for six years.”Arias said. “I’ll probably come back next year.”  

For the past six years, The Downey Food and Music festival has attempted to unite the community under the banner of art and culture. This year, with patrons from different walks of life enjoying new types of food and music, it seems they have succeeded.

About the Photographer
Xenia Pena, Photographer

Determined to continue her photography career after high school, senior Xenia Pena pursues photography in the newspaper and yearbook staff. “I like photography because I can capture moments that I can look back on in the future,” Pena said. “I like to show my creativity side through photography.”