Always A Mom

Heidi Castillo

1. At 8:30a.m. on Sat. Feb., 15, at Griffiths Middle School, spectators watch as the horn goes off and participants of the Help 2 Heal a Heart begin the two mile run. The event was held in memory of a child lost to cancer in 2010 at age 13; his mother, Kim Jones, started the Always a Mom Foundation to help raise funds for programs and services to help mothers and families trying to overcome the passing of a child in the family.

Esther Rodriguez, Parents & Teachers Section Editor

On Sat., Feb. 15, the Downey community gathered together at Griffiths Middle School to participate in the Help 2 Heal A Heart 2-Mile Run/Walk supporting the Always A Mom Foundation.

The walk started with everyone gathering at the starting line, listening to Downey Mayor Fernando Vasquez deliver a speech.

“It means a lot that you guys are taking the initiative and time to support a worthy cause,” Vasquez said. “The fact that we are all here today says a lot about our community and says a lot about you.”

Mayor Vasquez spoke of the different schools, including Downey High School and Warren High School, and surrounding cities, such as Bell Gardens, gathering for this event and thanked them for their support.

Senior Jasmin Gonzales participated in this walk because she felt it is for a worthy cause.

“I walked because I couldn’t imagine how hard it would be to lose a child,” Gonzales said. “I’ve seen the way cancer affects families, and if me walking 2 miles can offer them some support, I’m going to walk.”

Once they finished the race, participants were handed a medal and had their picture taken.

This foundation was started when a mother, Kim Jones, lost her son Jamari, a student at Griffiths Middle School, to cancer. She started this organization to offer support and help to mothers whose children have been diagnosed with terminal illnesses because she knows the difficulty of the situation.

On Sept. 2010, Jamari was diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma, a rare form of an adult type of cancer that only 6% of children are born with. The doctors predicted he would only live until the end of the year. On Dec. 25, 2010, Jamari passed at the age of thirteen years old.

“I want to continue to show love the way he [Jamari] did to everyone he came in contact with and include a smile and moments of peace for a mom that never thought she would be a bereaved mom,” Jones said.

The Always A Mom foundation received the help it needed to help bereaved mothers because of the hundred runners who participated in the Help 2 Heal A Heart 2-Mile Run/Walk.