Post View SoFi Stadium Game

Alisson Naranjo

Everyone always awaits the yearly Downey vs Warren hometown rivalry football game. However, this year both schools had the opportunity to be the first high school to have an LA Bowl at Sofi Stadium. This announcement shocked many of us. Traveling to Sofi Stadium for a high school football game was an experience for numerous people who attended Downey or Warren. The game sold 18,000 tickets. Both sections of the schools had high energy cheering on their team. The hometown rivalry game led Warren to win 28-21. 

Many Downey students were disappointed in the loss, but the “Vike Vibe” never came down during the game. Downey still hasn’t won a game against Warren since 2017, but many Downey fans had high hopes for playing in SoFi like Emmylou Casas, 11. 

“I enjoyed the game and how everyone had high energy,” stated Casas. “I did have some hope we were going to win but in the end, I wasn’t surprised we lost since we haven’t won a game in 6 years, but hopefully soon we win a game against Warren and finally defeat the Bears.” 

During halftime of the game the Downey cheer team, dance, color guard, and band had a chance to perform. This was a moment for these students to get professional experience on the field. They all did such an amazing job with their energetic performances: Cheerleader Bailey Rodriguez, 11 shares her experience on the field. 

“This was such a big opportunity for me and all the cheer girls it felt so unreal,” stated Rodriguez. “It felt so insane being in such a big stadium looking around and seeing everyone in the stands knowing we had so many people watching us.” 

As a senior, it’s a sentimental happy moment going to your last hometown rivalry game. Some seniors were happy about their last hometown rivalry game but sad simultaneously because it was an away game and not at home. Senior Angelina Gonzales expresses her last Downey vs Warren experience. 

“It finally being my senior it felt a little nostalgic to be at SoFi stadium for my final Downey vs Warren football game with my girls for the last time,” stated Gonzales. “Overall it was a good game, especially in the student section but I did wish the game was at home for my senior year.”  

The first-ever high school LA Bowl was a success for both schools, win or lose. This game gave many experiences not only for the football players but also for students, staff, and Downey locals. Hopefully, in the near future, both Downey schools can have the opportunity to have another game at Sofi Stadium against other schools.