Winter Sports Coming to an End

Lizzy Martinez, Co-Business Manager

Playing against Warren High School’s basketball team on Feb. 6, Jaden Hadnot, 11, dribbles the basketball in attempt to make a basket in the Donna Ganserboose sports complex. “This game was very nerve-wracking,” Hadnot said. “It was still very fun and my teammates were there to cheer us on while we were on the court.”

Downey Highs’ winter sports season is coming to an end as spring slowly approaches. Although many sport’s season are closing, there are many sports who are playing in CIF playoffs. Spring sports will begin as early as March, and in the meantime winter sports play to become CIF champions in their divisions.

Girls Water polo

Girls Water Polo latest victory was on Feb. 6, in which they beat Paramount with a score of 15-1 giving Varsity and Junior Varsity League Championship titles. They have also lost to Temple City on Feb. 8 with a score of 11-8.  They go into CIF Playoffs ranked first in their division. They took on Hillcrest on Feb. 14 at Warren High and won with a score of 16-2. For round 2 of CIF, they took on Beaumont on Feb. 15 and defeated them with a score of 13-8.

Girls Basketball

Girls basketball faced Warren on Feb. 6, and won with a score of 65-46. They also played against Gahr on Thursday, Feb. 8, and beat them with a score of 50-43. As the team began their CIF games, they defeated Murrieta Valley on Feb. 15 and will go against Westminster away on Feb. 17 at 7:30 p.m. The girls are currently second in their league as they continue in CIF.

Boys Basketball

Our boys basketball team’s most recent victory has been against Warren, who they played on Tuesday, Feb. 6. They won with a score of 64-61. They played Gahr on Thursday, Feb.8, with a score of 56-51.  They finished their season as second in their league.

Girls Soccer

Girls soccer loss against Warren on Monday, Feb. 5, with a score of 1-0. They won against Gahr on Wed. Feb. 6, with a score of 1-0. They took on Mayfair for the first round of CIF on Feb. 15 at Mayfair and loss with a score of 3-0.

Boys Soccer

One of boys soccer recent victories has been against Warren when they first played them and won 1-0. They then faced the Bears once again on Feb. 5, and tied 0-0. The played Gahr and won with a score of 10-0. This gave them the San Gabriel League Champions title, which also marks their first League title for the school’s boy soccer team. They will play Fountain Valley at home on Feb. 16 at 5 p.m.

Girls Wrestling

Girls wrestling had three girls qualify for CIF on Feb. 2. They wrestled in the CIF Masters Tournament, Feb. 9 through Feb. 10, and did not advance.

Boys Wrestling

Boys Wrestling made it the CIF finals on Saturday, Feb. 13 with thirteen out of the fourteen boys placing. They will be competing in CIF Individuals on Feb.16-17.

Lizzy Martinez, Co-Business Manager

During her freshman year at Downey High School, Lizzy Martinez, 12, originally wanted to become a lawyer but with the USC Summer Program, she found her...

Stefanie Chavez, Photo Editor

Musical theater is an all-time favorite for Stefanie Chavez, 12, who aspires to be a professional actress after high school. “I like being able to express...