Downey Vs. Warren Week

Miranda Ramirez, Editor-In-Chief

Downey vs. Warren officially kicked off last week on Oct. 17 when girls tennis and boys water polo played against the Bears and again when girls volleyball played at home against the Bears in their annual Dig Pink game. However, the most anticipated game of Downey vs. Warren is the varsity football game. Both schools participate in a spirit week that lead up to the Friday night football game.

Water Polo

Following the grand opening of the their new pool, Warren hosted boys water polo on Tuesday, Oct. 17. The final score was 13-7, resulting in a win for the Vikings. Goalie, Adrian Buenrostro, 11, had 13 saves during the game. Bryan Repreza, 12, scored the most goals with Anthony Torres, 11, following closely with the second most goals scored. Repreza and Jeremias Anguinada,12,  had the most steals for the game.

JV also won their game 11-3 followed by the freshman team who won 17-1.

Downey hosted and defeated Gahr 14-4, on Tuesday, Oct. 24 in their last league game. Bryan Repreza scored five out of the 14 goals causing him to be the top scorer of the game. Matthew Faria, 12, had the most assists in the game. The boys won three out of four league games. Their last game before CIF was at home against Whittier on Thursday, Oct. 26. The Vikings lost 11-10. They will continue onto the first round of CIF with a home team advantage against Foothill Tech on Tuesday, Oct. 31.

Volleyball

In their annual Dig Pink game, the girls defeated Warren 3-0 at the Vikings gym on Thursday, Oct. 19.  On Tuesday, Oct. 17, Downey beat Dominguez 3-0. These wins left the girls undefeated in their league games. The girls will advance to CIF Playoffs, which begin on Saturday, Oct. 28.

Tennis

Girls tennis players competed in the SGVL finals at Warren High School on Thursday, Oct. 26. The girls will be advancing to the first round of CIF on Wednesday, Nov.1.

Football

The Homecoming game was held on Friday Oct. 20, in which varsity football played against Lynwood and won 62-6.

Stats for Downey vs. Lynwood:

• Receiving Yards per Game: 220.0
  • Rushing Yards per Game: 296.4
  • Sacks: 26
  • Interceptions: 13

Freshman Football beat Lynwood 54-0 at home on Thursday Oct. 19. Quarterback, Chris Hernandez, 9, threw four touchdown passes. Everyone on the team had a chance to play  due to the game lead. Quote: “The coaching staff was pleased with the way our boys played, but we’re not satisfied,” Coach Weisenburger said. “We need to improve this week in order to beat Warren.”  

The Vikings swept (all three football teams won)  the Bears in the annual cross-town rivalry game on Thursday, Oct. 26 and Friday, Oct. 27.

Desmond Lopez (defensive end), 9,  sacked a Warren quarterback for a loss of yards. Jonathan Fernandez, 9, caught a fourth down pass and fought for extra yards and gained a Downey first down. Freshman football won 14-6.

JV football played Warren on Thursday, Oct. 26 and won 39-6. Their next game is Thursday, Nov. 2 at home against Mayfair.

The varsity football team began the highly anticipated Downey vs. Warren game at 7 p.m. at Justice Stadium.  Warren started off with the ball, scoring the first touchdown, but the Vikes quickly returned the favor, receiving a touchdown of their own and ending the first quarter with a tie of 7-7. The Bears started the second quarter with the ball and quickly made another touchdown, but then Downey fought back and managed to make a touchdown of their own, tieing the second quarter 14-14. By the middle of the third quarter, Bears had an advantage of 21-14, but soon enough, the Vikings over-powered the Bears and eventually overcame them by the fourth quarter, winning 48-27

Golf

On Tuesday, Oct. 17 at the San Gabriel Valley League Prelims, three varsity golf player, Aarti Patel, 12,  Kay Urquieta, 11, and Allyssa Chan, 10, qualified for SGVL Individual Tournament held on Wednesday, Oct. 18. Patel placed sixth in the prelims and Chan was tied for fifteenth place with another opponent. Both girls advanced to the SGVL Finals at Rio Hondo Golf Course.

At the finals, Patel placed sixth and earned SGVL First Team Honors, which qualifies her to represent the SGVL on Tuesday, Oct. 24 at CIF-SS Individual Regional Tournament.

Cross Country

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, the San Gabriel Valley League Finals will be held at La Mirada Regional Park. Adriana Higuera and Jamie Quinones were named athletes of the week.