Girls Water Polo CIF

Miranda Ramirez, Editor in Chief

On Wednesday, February 15, girls varsity water polo competed in their first round of CIF at Downey High School’s swimming pool against Woodrow Wilson High School.

Playing since her freshman year, Kaylinne Lopez, 11, expresses her pre-game excitement and nervousness.

“I’m nervous but excited,” Lopez said. “It’s the first time we’ve gone to CIF in a couple of years.”

During the beginning of the game, Downey had the lead of 3-4, but by half time Wilson had recovered and the two teams were tied 4-4. After the half the Vikings regained their lead by scoring an additional four points ending the third quarter with an 8-4 lead. Wilson began catching up by gaining a two point lead in the 4th quarter, but in the end Downey prevailed with a final score of 11-6.

Shutting down Wilson’s best player,  Samantha Martinez, 11, expresses her excitement on winning the CIF game.

“I feel great because we went from a crappy team to a really great team,” Martinez said. “I’m glad I’m with my girls.”

Having a brand new coaching staff this year, Coach Villa is excited to share this experience with not only his fellow coaches but as well as his players.

“It’s amazing they’ve won this CIF game considering that we haven’t qualified for CIF in the past ten years,” Coach Villa said. “Those girls have accomplished so much already.”

Alejandra Villa led the team with a total of six goals while Samantha Martinez had a total of three steals and one goal. Freshman, Maritza Ochea chipped in three goals and goal keeper Zelia Hellmold anchored the defense with fourteen saves.

Following the qualifying game for CIF, the water polo team beat Garden Grove in the quarter final round 11-8 and in the semifinals, the team lost 7-6 to Alta Loma High School.

About the Photographer
Chuy Solano, Photographer

Getting support from his friends and family to join the football team, senior, Chuy Solano decided to tryout for, and eventually join, the football team....