Downey Wrestling Beats Crosstown Rivals

Amanda Davila, Staff Writer

Downey’s varsity wrestling team defeated Warren to continue their 3-0 streak, on Thurs., Jan. 7, as the boys left Warren High School with a victory of 51-15.

Downey’s wrestling team remained strong throughout the evening making it a successful night.

Not letting stress get to him, junior, Adrian Segovia, focused on putting hard work and effort into his match, while still having fun.

“The Downey Warren rivalry is a big deal and it was very important to get this win,” Segovia said. “At the end of the day it took a lot of hard work and dedication.”

As CIF approaches, sophomore, Dilan Ajtun looked for support in his teammates, believing their bond is what made them perform better.

“Downey wrestling is like a brotherhood, a family; we work together and succeed together,” Ajtun said. “If we continue putting in the hard work, we will succeed at becoming CIF champs.”

This win was very important to junior Ariel Ramirez; he believes beating Warren was a step closer to taking league for another year in a row.

“We did a great job as a team; it was pin after pin,” Ramirez said. “No one let the Downey Warren rivalry get into their heads. We just went out there and did our jobs.”

Downey Wrestling gained more victories ending the season undefeated with a 5-0 streak. They continue to train harder and remain focused as the first round of CIF approaches on Sat., Feb. 6.

About the Writer
Amanda Davila, Staff Writer
During the summer of 2015 at Huntington Beach’s U.S. Open, Amanda Davila could win an Oscar because she created a chaotic scene due to her fear of sharks.

“I had gone to the U.S. Open with my best friend Leslie, but this was a different experience,” Davila said. “I’m not one to create a scene.”

Davila talked about sighting what she thought were two sharks while being inside the ocean. She had seen two fins in the ocean; her first instinct was to start yelling about the so-called sharks. She immediately went to let the lifeguard to let them know what she had seen, but the lifeguards couldn’t make out what Davila was telling them because of how bad she was crying.

“It was a mistake; I swear I would have never done that,” Davila says. “Anyone would have freaked out if they saw sharks in the water, even if they weren’t exactly sharks.”

Throughout the chaos she created, she found out those two sharks in the water were actually two dolphins. She received some unfriendly stares and created enemies because of how she disturbed the beach, especially from a mother with three small crying children.

“This mom probably hated me for making her three small children cry,” Davila said. “I felt terrible.”

Leslie Murillo, who had gone with Davila, also provided more details about what had happened that day. Murillo being terrified of ocean water was more than happy to not have been involved with Davila’s chaos.

“I’m terrified of the ocean because you have no idea what is around you” Murillo said, “so I wasn’t in the water with Amanda when she yelled and I am so happy I wasn’t.”

Davila could have had a nice normal day at the beach. Instead she created a mess believing she had seen two sharks while swimming in the ocean. Lifeguards quickly began to evacuate people from the water; in the end to find out those two sharks were instead two dolphins.