Downey reaches their happy ending

The Girls Varsity Volleyball team worked hard this season, leading them to the playoffs, to win their CIF games against Diamond Ranch Nov. 10 and against Brentwood Nov.12.

“The season was hard at first with new players on the team, but it pulled off at the end and we made it pretty far,” said Celena Vasquez.

Girls Varsity Volleyball showed a lot of enthusiasm to be the 2009-2010 CIF champions. The Girls Varsity Volleyball team had 18 wins, 6 losses, and 0 ties. On Nov. 12, the Vikings played against Palm Springs hoping to beat them to get closer to becoming the CIF champions.

Showing a lot of potential, in the attacking area, sophomore captain and middle side hitter, Heather Schnars played this season with 111 kills, while freshmen captain and outside hitter, Makayla Taylor also gave her best with 88 kills.

Senior, right side hitter, Megan Kirkpatrick took advantage of her serving skills and set 13 aces for the season, with junior, right side hitter, Camille Valenzuela following close with 12 aces for the fall season.

The Girls Varsity Volleyball team had great defense with Staci Rodriguez setting 13 solo blocks. Also, Breana Alcantra, not falling behind, set 11 solo blocks for the season.

“We improved on working as a team and in unity,” said right side hitter Jessica Dorado.

Knowing that there were many games ahead of them, the Vikings gave a positive attitude and were open minded about the creative plays that their head coach Andrea Sims had for their victory.

“Ms. Sims encouraged us to do better and helped the team with a lot of bonding,” said middle side hitter Heather Schnars.

The Girls Varsity Volleyball team won more than half of their games this season and made it all the way to the playoffs. Having the elements of a team, Girls Varsity Volleyball accomplished desire, enthusiasm, potential, and unity. Their heads were held high and now wait to become the best of the best next year.