Closure of I-10 Freeway

On Saturday, November 11, 2023, a fire was reported on the I-10 Freeway, one of the most essential freeways here in Los Angeles. CNN News said that The Los Angeles Fire Department immediately responded to the incident and Fire Chief Crowley reported that over 160 firefighters were deployed to extinguish the fire. 

Soon after the fire on the I-10 Freeway, Michael Masir, a California Highway Patrol Officer confirmed to CNN that the freeway would remain closed until further notice. 

The closure of the freeway prompted an immediate investigation to be launched to determine the cause of the fire. Governor Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency shortly after the incident and announced that all resources and steps were being mobilized to ensure all repairs were to be completed on time to avoid any further impacts on local residents who travel frequently on this freeway.

In the days after the incident, an update was provided, confirming arson was behind the damage of “about 100 columns.” Authorities were on the search for a suspect who was responsible for the fire on the I-10 Freeway.

With this came frustration from drivers who found themselves having to adapt to the changes, ultimately affecting their schedules due to the unpredictability of the closure of the I-10 Freeway. ABC News interviewed a few drivers and provided an update in the days after the I-10 Freeway fire. 

While the duration to reconstruct the I-10 Freeway was expected to last for a few weeks, even months, it was announced on the website for the State of California that the freeway would open back up to the public, just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. Governor Gavin Newsom praised the construction workers who were on site and working overdrive to deliver the finished product, a completed interstate, ready to welcome drivers on November 21, 2023.