Possible Ban on Food Dyes

Pressure has continued to mount on the FDA to order a permanent ban on certain food dyes, including Red No. 3 which can be found in many of the snacks and sodas we consume commonly. As of now, California Governor, Gavin Newsom, has signed into law to ban these certain dyes to ban this additive, the first U.S. state to do so. This law will take effect in 2027, providing enough time for regulators to initiate a call to the FDA to prohibit this dye among others on a national level. 

Red Dye No.3 can be found in candies which are usually added to create a red dye, according to studies. In recent years, Red No.3 and other dyes have faced a ban on certain cosmetic products initiated by the Food and Drug Administration. Fast Company, a business magazine, has stated after asking some experts about how certain candies/sodas contain oils and potassium bromate to “prevent citrus flavorings from rising to the top of the beverage.”

Pediatricians have been concerned with the link Red No.3 has to hyperactivity in children who consume certain grain products. Some have pressured companies to add labels to prevent children from having access to these sweeteners that can seriously impact their health in the long run; and alert families about what children can consume to safely guarantee no consumption of these dyes, including purchasing more organic foods. We can expect more guidelines to appear in the next few years in some states or at a local level, to protect children from additives found in common snacks, like Cheetos, etc.

After interviewing a few people on this topic, some claimed whether this ban would make a difference in regulating the amount of food dyes consumed by children. After all, this ban does apply to California, and for a national ban to occur, it would need to be granted by the Food and Drug Administration.

The rise of Red No.3 and other food dyes has contributed to many side effects in children and adults. While these dyes may seem harmless for their appearance, the negative outweighs the positive. Food dyes have been known to have connections to causing cancer in long-term studies that have been conducted over the years. But some of the lack of information that has been provided resulted in divisions between concerns of food dyes on consumer goods. No matter how people feel about this topic, in the end, it’s important to formulate a plan on how companies can reduce the amount of food dyes found in many snacks and sodas. The health and safety of all people are vital in ensuring a safer community where people don’t have to worry about digesting possible signs of cancer, among other signs of health effects.