The One Where We Lost a Friend: Matthew Perry

Imagine the shock and heartbreak when you discover that one of the most beloved actors has passed away; this was the reality of October 28th. On October 28th, beloved actor and celebrity, Matthew Perry passed away at the age of fifty-four. Perry was one of the most iconic and brilliant actors of this generation. He was responsible for so many childhood memories. Perry was most familiar with the hit role of Chandler Bing in Friends. Matthew Perry wasn’t just an actor, he was a man who wanted to help others in any way he could. The sudden death of Perry brought many tributes from his co-stars and the general public. The heartache of losing such a brilliant soul is shared by many.

Salma Hayek, his co-star, in the 1997 romcom, “Fools Rush In” wrote a loving message in an Instagram post: “ Two days ago, I woke up to the shocking news that Matthew Perry is no longer with us. It’s taken me a couple of days to process this profound sadness. There is a special bond when you share dreams with someone, and together work towards them. I was very moved last year when Matthew shared on his Instagram stories how much he loved ‘ Fools Rush In,’ and how he thought that that film we did together was probably his best movie. Throughout the years, he and I found ourselves reminiscing about that meaningful time in our lives with a deep sense of nostalgia and gratitude. My friend, you are gone too soon, but I will continue to cherish your silliness, your perseverance, and your lovely heart. Farewell, sweet Matthew, we will never forget you.”

Salma and Matthew were both the main characters in “Fools Rush In.” Both actors acted their parts phenomenally and charmed the audience. I recently watched the movie in honor of Matthew and wow, this showed his versatility as an actor. He could do drama and also comedy. Hayek’s post has over three million likes. Salma is referring to when Matthew stated on his Instagram story that his favorite movie performance was in Fools Rush In as Alex Whitman.

Perry’s on-screen mother in Friends, Morgan Fairchild wrote in a Twitter post: “ I’m heartbroken about the untimely passing of my ‘son’, Matthew Perry. The loss of such a brilliant young actor is a shock. I’m sending love and condolences to his friends and family, especially his dad, John Bennett Perry, who I worked with on Flamingo Road & Falcon Crest. #RIPMatthew.”

Justin Trudeau, Canadian Prime Minister and one of Perry’s ex-classmates wrote in a tweet:” Matthew Perry’s passing is shocking and saddening. I’ll never forget the schoolyard games we used to play, and I know people around the world are never going to forget the joy he brought them. Thanks for all the laughs, Matthew. You were so loved- and you will be missed.”

You don’t need to be an avid watcher of Friends to know of Chandler’s ex-girlfriend, Janice. Janice is portrayed by actress Maggie Wheeler, who wrote a tribute post dedicated to Matthew on Instagram, wrote the following: “What a loss. The world will miss you Matthew Perry. The joy you brought to so many in your too short lifetime will live on. I feel so blessed by every creative moment we shared.” Wheeler’s post has over two million likes. Maggie and Matthew’s screen time together is cherished by many.

The official Friends’ Instagram and @warnerbrostv’s Instagram collaborated on a joint statement dedicated to Matthew: “We are devastated to learn of Matthew Perry’s passing. He was a true gift to us all. Our heart goes out to his family, loved ones, and all of us fans.” The post has over six million likes and over a hundred thousand comments of mourning fans.

Friends was and continues to hold a special place in many people’s hearts. It holds a special place in my heart. When the news broke out, fans held a memorial at the West Village building in Brooklyn, New York. People took lots of flowers, banquets, and handwritten letters thanking Matthew’s performance. The Friends cast starring Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer brought the iconic show to life. They ruled the entertainment business together. They were a family together.

The cast spoke out in a joint statement: “We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family. There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss.”

Recently, on November 14th, Matt LeBlanc came out with a tribute for Matthew: “ Matthew it is with a heavy heart I say goodbye. The times we had together are honestly among my favorite times of my life. It was an honor to share the stage with you and call you my friend. I will always smile when I think of you and I’ll never forget you. Never. Spread your wings and fly brother you’re finally free. Much love. And I guess you’re keeping the 20 bucks you owe me.”

Jennifer Aniston spoke out in her statement, “ Oh boy this one has cut deep… Having to say goodbye to our Matty has been an insane wave of emotions that I’ve never experienced before. We all experience loss at some point in our lives. Loss of life or loss of love. Being able to really SIT in this grief allows to feel the moment of joy and gratitude for having loved someone that deep. And we loved him deeply. He was such a part of our DNA. We were always 6 of us.”

Courtney Cox also spoke in a statement, “ I am so grateful for every moment I had with you Matty and I miss you every day. When you work with someone as closely as I did with Matthew, there are thousands of moments I wish I could share. For now here’s some of my favorites. To give a little backstory, Chandler and Monica were supposed to have a one night fling in London. But because of the audience reaction, it became the beginning of their love story. In this scene, before we started rolling, he whispered a funny line for me to say. He often did things like that. He was funny and he was kind.”

Lisa Kudrow spoke out in an Instagram post: “ Shot the pilot, Friends Like Us, got picked up then immediately, we were at the NBC Upfronts. Then… You suggested we play poker AND make it so much fun while we initially bonded. Thank you for that. Thank you for making me laugh so hard at something you said, that my muscles ached, and tears poured down my face EVERY DAY. Thank you for your open heart in a six way relationship that required compromise. And a lot of “talking.” Thank you for showing up at work when you weren’t well and then, being completely brilliant. Thank you for the best 10 year a person gets to have. Thank you for trusting me. Thank you for all I learned about GRACE and LOVE through knowing you. Thank you for the time I got to have with you, Matthew.”

David Schwimmer wrote dedicated to Matthew in an Instagram post: “ Matty, Thank you for ten incredible years of laughter and creativity. I will never forget your impeccable comic timing and delivery. You could take a straight line of dialogue and bend it to your will, resulting in something so entirely original and unexpectedly funny it still astonishes. And you had heart. Which you were generous with, and shared with us, so we could create a family out of six strangers. This photo is from one of my favorite moments with you. Now it makes me smile and grieve at the same time. I imagine you up there, something, in the same white suit, hands in your pockets, looking around– “ Could there BE any more clouds?.”

Matthew’s loss is truly an unfathomable loss. It was so unexpected and just such a big loss. It has been almost two weeks and I really can’t stop thinking about it. Matthew’s performance as Chandler Bing was and still continues to be such a big part of my life. So many people can relate to the sarcastic-awkward Bing (including me). Perry perfectly executed the character of Chandler. Both are such icons. My for you page is filled with many fans dedicating edits to Matthew as a way to experience gratitude for his work. Friends will never be friends without the lines of Matthew. He brought so much charm to television and their cultural impact will forever be remembered.

In 2022, Perry released his memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir.” In it, Perry talks about his rise to stardom and fame, his addiction, and his ultimate recovery. Perry was just overcoming his battle. He was ready to start fresh and new. He wanted to have kids and be a family man. He was so looking forward to his new recovery chapter. But unfortunately, all of that got ripped away from him. Perry, at least got to tell his story the way he wanted to, he got the chance to tell us everything he went through. To honor Perry’s legacy, The Matthew Perry Foundation was launched as a way to help those struggling with addiction. The mission of the Matthew Perry Foundation is “ the realization of Matthew’s enduring commitment to helping others struggling with the disease of addiction. It will honor his legacy and be guided by his own words and experiences and driven by his passion for making a difference in as many lives as possible Matthew Perry Foundation.” Matthew wanted to help others going through the same thing he was going through, he wanted to prevent most from going through what was happening to him. All he ever wanted was to help others.

On November 14th, the first ever central perk opened in Boston, honoring Perry on their opening day. According to People magazine, the shop is distributing Chandler “ ‘ Can I Interest You a Sarcastic Comment’ sleeve exclusively for the entire day, in honor of the life and enduring legacy of Matthew Perry Matthew Perry Honored at First Permanent Central Perk Coffeehouse — See Inside (Exclusive).”

In his final interview, Matthew Perry wanted others to know they’re never alone: “ I want people to understand that they’re not alone, that there are other people feeling the way they’re feeling, that their behavior is not insane, that they have a disease and it’s not their fault.” Thank you, Matthew Perry, for everything you did and everything you achieved. You will forever be missed and never be forgotten. Your legacy will forever live on. Rest in peace, Matthew, you are so loved.