Rio Grande

The Rio Grande river, located at the border between Texas and Mexico is under heavy watch as two bodies were recently discovered, one near the highly disputed water buoys, controversially installed in July to discourage migrants from crossing over. According to Mexico’s Foreign Relations Department, the first body was found alongside the barrier, while a second was located upriver, about 3 miles away. The causes of death are currently unknown but many believe it’s a byproduct of the buoys, leaving officials to work towards identification efforts. This incident unfolds amidst a heated political discourse, that is the Biden administration’s lawsuit against Texas, filed on July 24th, challenges the legality of these 4-foot-wide orange buoys placed in the river’s heart.

Texas officials contend that these buoys are essential for preventing unlawful border crossings, while the Mexican government argues they endanger lives and potentially infringe on Mexican territory. At the heart of the legal dispute is whether these buoys breach federal law, a matter that awaits a federal judge’s verdict.

These interconnected buoys, forming a thousand-foot-long barricade, are anchored to the riverbed, equipped with underwater nets to prevent anybody from simply swimming under, and are equipped with spinning razors, adding even more lethality to the border. 

In addition to the buoys, Texas has fortified its Rio Grande banks with miles of razor wires, along with sharp metal pieces, a measure that has led to severe lacerations among many immigrants attempting river crossings.