2023 U.S. Open

This year’s US Open began August 22, 2023 and finished September 10, 2023. It takes place annually in New York and is the final Grand Slam of the year. This year’s tournament was definitely one to remember.

This year marked the 50th year of equal prize money for both male and female winners in the US Open. It was the first major to start this and the movement was initiated by Billie Jean King. 

It’s important to highlight this because it is something that is still present in professional sports. Men and women’s teams are still not rewarded equally so it was important to celebrate this monumental event. 

Many players stood out during this tournament but a fan favorite was definitely Coco Gauff. Cori Dionne “Coco” Gauff, 19, has been playing professional tennis since 2018. She has won six WTA Tour singles titles and eight doubles titles. 

Gauff’s fan base quickly grew as the tournament progressed. Fans were amazed by not only her skills on the court but her sheer determination, especially at her age. She fought for every point she played and in the end, it paid off. She became the first American teen since Serena Williams to win the championship. 

More people than ever are now looking at Gauff and for what’s to come. She’s an inspiration to many and is definitely someone to keep an eye out for.