The Impact of Hurricane Dorian

Andre Lucas, Co-Copy Editor

The fourth hurricane of 2019’s tropical storm season, Hurricane Dorian, now a category two (category five at first), began on Sept. 1 in the Bahamas, killing five. The death toll, however, has risen to 50, and is expecting to rise after slamming the Southeast coast of the United States, which includes Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia. 

Ecology Club member, Luna Necochea, 12, gave her insight on the recent natural disaster, since she noticed a pattern of natural disasters, such as Dorian, that occur every year.

“This is a trend,” Necochea stated. “These [natural disasters] are getting worse year by year.”

Due to the storm’s large death toll,  residents located in areas affected by Dorian are being evacuated. Several communities in Florida and North and South Carolina have already issued mandatory evacuations, according to the  ABC News article, “Mandatory Evacuations for Hurricane Dorian issued for Coastal Communities,” due to the severity of the hurricane.

Physical Science teacher, Mr. Russell, weighed in on the recent news of the hurricane. He discussed his thoughts and reaction to the devastation of the storm while offering advice to the victims who were affected by it. 

“[I’d] evacuate immediately,” Russell said, “I can rebuild my house, [but] I can’t come back to life.”

The aftermath in certain regions affected by Dorian were more severe than others. For instance, in the island of Archipelago, which has a population of 400,000 people, about 13,000 homes were destroyed according to by the International Red Cross committee.

President of the Downey High School’s Ecology Club, Tori Quinones, 12, responded in the wake of the catastrophic Hurricane, and she offered a few ways her club can help those afflicted in the recovery effort.

“We plan to rehabilitate and help wildlife,” Quinones said, “[by] replanting trees and also helping the people.”

Because of the drastic effects of Hurricane Dorian, hundreds of volunteers have poured in to help aid the victims whose lives have been altered by the storm through donations, fundraisers, and providing basic necessities, such as food and water.

To assist in the hurricane relief effort,  All Hands and Hearts – Smart Response is another non-profit organization, looking for volunteers to do just that. To volunteer, visit them at allhandsandhearts.org.