Brunei Anti-Gay Laws

Nicole Alvarez, Writer

Brunei is a small country in Southeast Asia, has recently been targeted for their anti-gay laws. However, people including celebrities, have spoken against these homophonic laws in hopes of seeking freedom for the LGBTQ community.

Brunei’s laws has taken steps back in history by allowing citizens to throw stones at queer citizens. Such actions like lesbian sex can result in imprisonment or slashes to the back. Same male sex relations can result in death by stoning or many years in prison as well.

Being a majority muslim populace, it has influences these hateful laws being passed. Due to their Muslim and conservative views the government has limited religious freedom and freedom of speech.

These ridiculous laws have motivated people to create the Brunei Project which advocates for human rights including freedom of religion and LGBTQ rights as well. Celebrities such as George Clooney, Ellen Degeneres, and Billie Jean King have spoken out against Brunei’s hurtful laws by declaring a boycott against the hotels.

George Clooney has taken this to the Los Angeles City Council joining in on the boycotting of the Hotel Bel-Air and Beverly Hills Hotel. These hotels are both owned by the Brunei government which has established these anti-gay laws. In other words the hotel can call the police if any adultery or homosexual sex is taken place in the property.

Recently, the gas station, Shell, has received backlash from the media since they are Brunei’s number one source of gasoline. Shell has been an advocate for LGBT rights in the past by posting pride pictures on their social media. Now their integrity is being put to the test as they have to choose between money and business or standing up for what they believe in.

Only time and patience will tell the future of Brunei’s citizens. No one should ever have to feel in danger or unwanted in their own home especially for something so insignificant. Sexual orientation does not define who a person is but rather through someone’s actions do we discover who they truly are.

About the Writer
Nicole Alvarez, Writer
With the rhythm of a dancer in her heart, Nicole Alvarez, 10, a Cuban-American, credits her heritage with her taste in music, love for dance and her favorite food, her grandmother’s arroz amarillo.  “My life is strongly influenced by my Cuban culture.” Alvarez said.