Time to show some school spirit

While conducting the marching band at the pep rally, drum major Kevin Valencia, 12, keeps time while Jeremy Moore, 11, imitates his every move. Unlike other years this year, the assembly was held in front of the ASB window.

The time had come for the anticipated football game that occurs only once a year: Downey High School versus its biggest rival, Warren High School.  Leading into the big football game on Friday at Warren High, Downey High participated in Spirit Week.

Originally, Tuesday the 15 was planned as Flannel day, but due to the loss of fellow Viking Dodi Soza, earlier in the week, the student’s close friends started a hashtag trend on twitter, #WhiteForDodi, that inspired students to wear white instead of the original flannel.  Junior Marlene Oropeza, incorporated both Dodi Day and Flannel Day by wearing a white t-Shirt with the words RIP Dodi written in marker and topped it off with a flannel.

“I had already planned to wear a flannel on Tuesday but I also really wanted to support Dodi, so I thought ‘Why not both?’,” Oropeza said.

On Wednesday the 16, Disney Day attracted students to get involved in Spirit Week. From Mickey and Minnie Mouse ears to Disney princess costumes, students were dressed to impress. Junior Sophia Lopez was one of the many students who participated.

“It was so hard to pick an outfit this morning. I changed from a Goofy shirt, to a Cinderella crown, to some giraffe print Minnie Mouse ears,” Lopez said. “If I could make Disney day everyday, I would. I sort of have an obsession for Disney.”

Thursday was the much anticipated Warren Wimp Day.  Some students went to school in simple Warren attire, while the more spirited students of the school were dressed in wacky outfits, such as bear costumes. Junior Beverly Llonillo dressed up for Spirit Week for the first time of her 3 years attending Downey High.

“I don’t know why I never dressed up these past years; it is so fun,” Llonillo said. “I just made my own Warren Wimp t-Shirt and I mix matched my shoes and socks; it was simple but wimpy.”

Appropriate for game day, Friday was planned as Downey Pride Day. Students dressed in their Downey High attire including PE shirts, sports attire, and class sweaters. The cheerleaders, as well as the varsity football team, were dressed in their uniforms and participated in a rally led by the school band during snack.

School spirit was shown by the students dressing up daily and participating in this one week of satisfaction towards their Viking football players. The student body showed their Viking pride as the rally led to the upcoming game where they were not disappointed as the Vikings defeated the Bears 60-0.