Leaders of the upcoming school year

Leaders of the upcoming school year

With only a few months left of school, the Associated Student Body conducted their election from March 29-31 in search for the next year’s executive board members and class officers.  The cabinet positions are president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer, while the class officers include a president and a vice-president for the class of 2012, 2013, and 2014.

The ASB caucus, which occurred on March 24 in the Viking gym, allowed every hopeful member to present a speech in front of the student body.  Many of them got the crowd’s attention through various ways like beat boxing, rapping, playing the ukulele, and even talking in a British accent.  But the main reason in going to the caucus was to hear what each had to say and why they deserved the students’ votes.  Along with being in charge of most of the campus’ activities, joining ASB required dedicated individuals who are willing to devote their time in making the school an even better place.

“Student council or ASB is just that, a select group of students that sit on a council and make crucial decisions that allow our school to move forward,” future Vice-President David Hamilton said.  “From the outside I would depict ASB as a single class period and an occasional after school activity, but ASB does so much more than that.”

Hamilton, the current junior class president, plans on making school events run as smoothly and effectively as possible; however, he also intends on giving the class of 2012 an unforgettable year.

“Even though I am not a class officer,” Hamilton said.  “I also plan to make sure that the senior class of 2012 has the best year possible.”

Certainly, Hamilton is not the only one who wishes to give their class memorable high school years.  Brianna Rodriguez, a soon-to-be junior class president for the class of 2013, is dedicated to earn funds for her fellow classmates along with future junior class Vice-President Alejandro Lomeli.

“I want to give our class of 2013 the best prom and this is one of mine and Alejandro’s goals,” Rodriguez said.  “We want to raise as much money as we can to be able to have a great senior year.”

Next school year, the person in charge of the funds will be the upcoming treasurer Kimberly Arias, who has also proven herself to be an expert in speaking with a British accent.  Although she was unopposed, she delivered her speech in a poem form with her magnificent portrayal of the English accent successfully getting the crowd’s attention.  As the treasurer, Arias will be dealing with the money that every group consumes.

“The ASB Treasurer reads off how money is spent by clubs and sports, reviews budgets, and signs important papers which I enjoy doing,” Arias said.

For the year of 2011 to 2012, the Vikings will have Lisa Guerrero as their president while the senior class president and vice-president will be David Saenz and Justin Parsley.  Kimberly Matamoros will be serving as ASB secretary, and Naomi Fontela, along with running mate Jerry Rivas, has won the position of sophomore class president and vice-president.  With great students leading the school, an amazing year can surely be expected.