Mystical memories

Hundreds of students flocked to Santa Anita Park on Saturday, May 15 for the 2010 Senior Prom, hosted by the junior class. Seniors and their dates entered the enchanted moonlit dance themed “Mystic Garden.”

This year’s prom was something out of a fairy tale with décor that included trees wrapped in lights and floral fixtures complete with dim lighting and twinkling skies. Students were amazed by how well a racetrack was transformed into the setting for one of the biggest nights of their teenage life.

“Mystic Garden is more of an atmosphere, like a feeling that anything is possible and anything can happen,” ASB Dance Coordinator Elena Ortiz said.

The idea that “anything can happen” manifested when the prom king and queen were announced. For seniors Julian Vicencio and Sharlene Guzman the surreal feeling of becoming king and queen turned into reality.

“It was so much to take in,” Guzman said, “as soon as I stepped on stage, it hit me.”

Surely, Guzman was living a moment many girls dreamed of.

“It was so awesome,” the gracious queen said. “I couldn’t have asked for anything better than this.”

Although the night may have seemed memorably mystical to all on the dancefloor, it did not come easy. Members of ASB began planning the Senior Prom more than a year in advance. From choosing the venue, to counting prom court ballots, every detail had to be planned and taken care of. However, this big night turned out to be a big success.

“That was like my biggest event,” Junior Class President Riza Karnadi said. “I was really relieved and happy; it went well.”

For those in attendance, it was evident that this year’s Senior Prom was beyond successful. Mystic Garden was a night that the Class of 2010 will surely cherish and not soon forget.

View Comments (2)

• M

Mike The Megaphone KearnsJun 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Downey high school is a legendary high school, the school has been around and my parents/relatives graduated from Viking teritory, keep rocking on, once is a Downey Viking always is a Downey Viking, Mike the
    Megaphone Kearns

Reply
  • M

Mike The Megaphone KearnsJun 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Congratulations class of 2010….. all I has to say hookem horns, and
    we are no. 1 in all of the sports. Mike the megaphone Kearns

Reply
Mystical memories