Downey Vintage Car Show

Alexis Gutierrez, Writer

In Los Angeles County alone there are over 30,000 foster children; in an effort to give assistance to these children, the Downey Calvary Chapel hosted a Vintage Car show on Sep. 15. The show catered to automobile enthusiasts and it doubled as a Toy Drive for Foster Children.

The show started at 8 a.m. and ended at 2 p.m. car owners brought their vehicles at 7:30 a.m. and by 10 a.m. there was over 85 various custom cars, as well as 7 big rig diesel trucks. Over 300 churchgoers, car club members and pedestrians were in attendance at the car show.

The price to register a car for the show was $15.00 or a children’s toy which would be given to one of the three foundations – Olive Crest, Hannah’s Helpers and Safe Families for Children – that are partnered with the church to the event.

Ray Castillo, vice president of an international car club called Dukes, showcased his 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe.

“I bought it stock and I started customizing it and I put the marine corps emblem on it,” Castillo said. “I’m honoring my son who passed away in 2014; he committed suicide after he came back from serving in Afghanistan-he had PTSD and he didn’t get treatment.”

In light of the local car show, Mark Ortega, 12, a former automotive student and active car enthusiast speaks his fascination on vintage cars.

“I guess that vintage cars are really cool because once you buy that car you can add anything and customize it,” Ortega stated. “When I’m older I want to buy a 1960 Alfa Romeo 2000, customize it and enter it in car shows.”

One of the main organizers for the event, Pastor Glenn Kravig of Downey Calvary, speaks on the music provided by the church.

“We had the New King James Blues band, Priest hood rap, Jimmy and Bobby performed hip hop,” Kravig said. Add more so this is a storytelling quote

According to the Safe Families for Children website statement, “Through Host Families, Family Friends, and Family Coaches, we temporarily host children and provide a network of support to families in crisis while they get back on their feet.”

If you are interested in helping one of the foster organizations please visit one of the

following websites;

https://www.olivecrest.org/ways-to-help/  for Olive Crest

https://safe-families.org/involvement/  for Safe Families