ASB Board 2024

Downey ASB elections are held every year in the second semester of the school year. Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors take this opportunity to run in ASB elected or appointed positions for the following year. The main elections are president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and commissioner for each grade. The other appointed variations include campus, athletics, Viking nation, dances, and other school events. Student Meleah Duran, 10, shares why she wanted to run for commissioner. 

“I mainly wanted to join to expand my social skills and put myself out there more speaking to other people” stated Duran. “I also know that being in ASB will be good for applying to colleges.” 

ASB allows students to feel connected through involvement with the school and each other. It also gives opportunities for students to open up their social skills. ASB skills prepare students for their future careers. 

After being in ASB for 2 years, Godoy fulfilled the duty of taking over as President. In his sophomore year, he withheld the position of fundraising. As a current junior, he was responsible for upholding the spirited energy of organizing assemblies and rallies for the school. As President, Godoy hopes to incorporate all his past experiences into the student body. Senior President Brandon Godoy shares his election experience. 

“I hope to provide a stable foundation for Downey High. Our ASB is already amazing as it is and I hope I can be the backbone for a strong ASB” stated Godoy. “Facilitating over many projects I want to put my best foot forward to help those put 110%, 100% of the time, I want to make the most of it and continue bringing the pep and spirit!” 

Entering the presidential election, Tiffany Aguilar, 11, was fulfilling the position of Senior Class Commisioner. As a junior, Aguilar was a commissioner of athletics. Among many accomplishments and responsibilities, she took part in organizing the Homecoming football game. With many capabilities, she explains why students should become involved in their beloved school. 

“I want to be in ASB to be a part of the greater Downey High School community creating and working school events where students can participate and enjoy themselves” stated Aguilar. I think it’s important for students to get involved so they can make memories of being a part of events and have a safe space for creative freedom. I would wish no student feels left out and would enjoy school and the environment. Viking nation is made up of all the students so everyone should feel welcomed in any event they attend or create.”