Path To College

As high school students, many of us wonder how to secure a spot at our dream colleges. The journey to college acceptance can be a challenging one, but it’s always helpful to learn from those who have successfully navigated this path. In this article, we’ll hear from some of our school’s best and brightest students who are sharing their strategies and experiences on how they plan to gain admission to their college of choice.

Brennan Pho, a senior at Downey High School, has always dreamed of attending UC Irvine. With an outstanding academic record and a passion for community service, Pho shares their journey to enter the field of nursing.

“Just doing well in senior year, just doing what I’ve always been doing. I’ve completed about 100 hours of volunteering for Kaiser Permanente to gain experience in the medical field.” -Pho, 12, states.

Next, we sat down with Peter Fabian, another high-achieving student at our school, who has his sights set on UCI. Fabian emphasizes the importance of a well-rounded application: 

“Being a part of sports and building up my challenges by taking AP classes, sports, and clubs help out a lot. Getting tutoring can help out a ton as well.” -Fabian, 12.

Lastly, we spoke with Jesse Tran, who is applying to UCI or Cal. Tran highlights the importance of taking challenging classes and extra classes, as well as participating in clubs and sports. 

“Knowing people also plays a significant role in gaining admission to colleges.”  -Tran, 12.

Judging from these interviews, the path to college success is multifaceted. While maintaining strong academics is crucial, it’s equally important to showcase your unique qualities and interests. Whether it’s through extracurricular activities or compelling essays, our top students have