D.T.A.S.C Shakespeare Festival

Nicole Estrada, Writer

Back at James Monroe High School for their second year on April 21, Mr. Nelson, Downey High’s drama teacher took six groups to the annual acting competition known as D.T.A.S.C (Drama Teacher Association of Southern California) Shakespeare Festival. Three of the groups made it to semifinals- Taming of the Shrew, Titus Andronicus, Romeo and Juliet.

Saul Conde, 10, made it to semifinals with his group Taming of the Shrew. It was Conde’s first time winning an award at the festival.  

“It feels great and I never thought we’d make it this far. I worked very hard on the script and this was my first time going to a varsity DTASC,” Conde said.  “I would like to have [had] more rehearsals time and more characterization.”

This year, Andres Flores, 12, won the first trophy for his representation of Queen Elizabeth I.

“It was my first time winning a trophy but overall it was also Downey’s first trophy won so it makes me feel extremely happy that I get to bring it home,” Flores said. “Honestly, I was shocked, I never in my life thought I would be making it this far.”

Jillian Ulloa, 11, took the lead with her group Romeo and Juliet, then realizing that they made it to finals.

“Honestly it was insane because our goal was only to go to semifinals, finding out we ended up making to finals was totally unexpected,” Ulloa said. “Winning honorable mention was the best thing that happened especially since our group is the first group at downey to go to finals.”

With the day coming to an end, Downey went home with an award for court costume, honorable mention for musical theater, and three semifinal ribbons for drama.