Vikes get the prize

Dressed to impress parents and staff, students headed to the Downey Civic Theater on the night of May 3, 2012, for the annual Viking Awards where they were rewarded for their hard work thus far. Mr. Wierzchucki and Ms. Williams hosted the event for the second year in a row. The event started at 7:00 p.m. and ended at 8:30 p.m.

Various students from all across campus and different classes were nominated. Students are chosen by teachers, and they represent the best of the best that DHS has to offer. Categories included, but were not limited to: English, World Language, Automotive, ROP, Biological Science, Physical Science, and Art.

“I like how it’s a mini academy award show,” teacher Wierzchucki said. “It’s a big deal; the theater gets sold out. It’s cool and impressive.”

The award show is in fact a highly formal event, and although it lacks the red carpet, it is still one of the most prestigious performances that Downey offers. The highlights, like in most shows, are the recipients of the big prize–in this case, the Viking Award. In total, there were twenty-two students who acquired the high status statue. People in second place won a very nice metal, and those that were nominated received a pin.

“I was nominated for English Literature and Government,” senior Cynthia Moreno said. “I didn’t think that would win the medallion for both categories. I think that if you want to get nominated and possibly even win, you have to get involved and participate. Teachers really like it when students contribute.”

Junior Philip Shimada, a medallion winner in three categories, feels that students should work hard to acquire that prize–and in fact, any goal that they have in life.

“I’m not entirely sure wju I was nominated, but I try my hardest,” Shimada said.

In total, the event is a definite highlight for those students who give their all throughout the year. It is a great reassurance that the work you put into class is recognized and awarded.