The pulse of music

Drums are said to be the pulse of all music, and for the kids of the Downey High School Drum line is a reality that they live through at every football game or competition. This past Friday at the football game our very own showed off their talents to the school and impressed without fail. With a verity of new cadences or “street beats,” the drum line showed the school that their seemingly endless hours of practice pay off greatly.

“It’s a great feeling when the crowd is bobbing their heads and feeling our music,” said senior Dewayne Hession.

Practice makes perfect proved to be true once again on Oct. 3 when our marching band and drum line took the sweepstakes award, the competition’s highest honor. This prestigious trophy is given to the best overall band in every division.

“It’s a great feeling being the best,” said junior Carlos Soto.

This paramount feeling was felt by most of the band when Downey High School was called to receive the sweepstakes award.

“I think our show this year will take us far places this year,” said sophomore David Hamilton.

The French theme of the show this year has some familiar music such as “La Festin” from the movie “Ratatouille” and “Bohemian Rhapsody” by the band “Queen.” The music provides for a very entertaining break from the football game during half-time, and students are excited to hear the show get better throughout the year after the band puts even more practice into it.

View Comments (2)

• C

CassandraNov 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Good work! Keep it up!

Reply
The pulse of music