Olivia Rodrigo ‘Guts’

Heartbreak, regret, nostalgia, adolescence, reminiscence. All culminating components of the pop-rock album anthem of the messy mind of a teenage girl. Rising Olivia Rodrigo released her blockbuster sophomore album, ‘Guts’ this September. With various relatable content, Rodrigo drives a large audience as the album release excels in numbers. The classic ‘teenage girl’ album has skyrocketed in popularity, streaming across numerous platforms. Ranging in lyrics from struggling with the impossible beauty standard to yearning for lost relationships, Rodrigo brings light to this generation’s struggles. 

Twelve beautifully written songs filled with content that many can relate to. Doing what Rodrigo does best, ‘Guts’ opens up the diary of a teenage girl. The opening pop-rock track all american b-tch can be interpreted as the effort to fit into the “perfect” ideal despite unattainable criticisms said internally and externally. More pop and upbeat songs were initially released as singles, Vampire, and bad idea right? reveal Rodrigo’s experiences with personal, toxic relationships and the struggles behind it all. 

Meanwhile, songs like the grudge, lacy, and make the bed, add a different perspective. Rodrigo evidently mastered the delicacy of songwriting. She captures the essence of being a girl in a big world with obstacles of heartbreak and regret. Softer songs like these are currently trending on social media, whether being personalized to fit one’s situation or carefully analyzed to dig into the conspiracized love life of Olivia Rodrigo herself. Rumors circle the media of Rodrigo’s personal life, constantly nit-picked through lyrics.

‘Guts’ explores familiar themes of today’s harsh reality alluded perfectly into the storytelling of 20-year-old Rodrigo. In track 8, get him back! Rodrigo paints the two-sided emotions of betrayal and confusion of an uncommitted relationship. While many artists fall upon similar subject matters, Rodrigo paints the naivety of circumstances in a different light. Portrayed clearly in pretty isn’t pretty, the double standard of the beauty cycle from the viewpoint of a teenage girl adds a whole new meaning to one’s interpretation of the song. Relatable to many, lyrics find a way into audiences’ hearts, making this album a hit. Stream Oliva Rodrigo’s newest album ‘Guts’!