Don’t Sweat It

Montzerratt Mendoza, Staff Writer

The first album of alternative rock band Panic! At The Disco, just recently celebrated it’s ten year anniversary on Sep 27, the theme heavy album, A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out, launched the band into world-wide success.

Frontman, Brendon Urie, commemorated by writing a short, but heartfelt letter towards fans on the bands official website. “I’ve been using Panic! At The Disco as a creative catalyst for over ten years now. That fact seems so bizarre and yet so fitting,” Urie said. “Even after ten years, it doesn’t seem so far away.”

A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out is an intense reflection of reality, touching on sensitive topics such as prostitution, the sanctity of marriage, alcoholism, mental health, and adultery.

“I feel like they look at the views, and I don’t feel like they romanticize them, as much as like, show them to their younger audience that they have,” sophomore, Raquel Luna, said. “They don’t really embrace it, but more of like ‘Yo, this is going on in the world, and you should be aware of it.’”

Despite internal band conflict and loss of multiple members, Urie, along with additional back-up musicians, kept the name of the band relevant and alive, with the official release of two new singles: “Hallelujah” and “Victorious.” Another unofficial single was released, “Death Of A Bachelor”, and received it’s first airplay on bassist of Fall Out Boy, Pete Wentz’s Beats 1 Radio show.

“I feel like, especially in “Death Of A Bachelor”, he was reflecting a lot, like on his life and on his wife, and also the things he’s done in the past,” senior, Genesya Flores, said. “He’s such a personality. He projects himself onto you.”

The edginess and personality of Panic! At The Disco has made them completely iconic in the alternative and pop rock music scene. With four albums under their belt and another in the works, this band shows no sign of slowing down and no sign of sweating out their fever.