Getting Lucky

French Electronic music duo, Daft Punk, released their new single “Get Lucky” off their fourth studio album, Random Access Memories, on April 19, 2013. The song was co-written and performed with American R&B singer Pharrell Williams and guitarist Nile Rodgers. Daft Punk, formed in 1993, is known for their use of disguises, primarily robotic costumes, which match their house genre music. After being out of the spotlight, Daft Punk, Williams, and Rodgers gained recognition for “Get Lucky,” which incorporates all their musical styles in a way that is familiar to fans of their prior work. The song starts off with a mid tempo disco-like tune and Rodger’s legendary guitar riff which leads to William’s recognizable falsetto voice. During the bridge of the song, a talk-box emerges, a Daft Punk signature addition to the song. Together, the song is a quintessential tune of the summer. Although the song’s lyrics give a provocative tone, they are more complex and contain a double meaning. Williams told Rolling Stone Magazine that one of the meanings of the song is “the fortune of meeting with and immediately connecting to someone.” Because the musicians wanted to write a song together since they first met, the second meaning behind the song’s lyrics is how lucky they were to have finally been able to write a song together (which took about 18 months to write). The single sold over 50,000 copies 48 hours after its release and continues to grow around the world. Daft Punk’s album Random Access Memories will be released May 17, 2013.